CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Graphing the serial Port

Hey Guys,
    I followed a tutorial and done a program in visual studio where its reading in values via the serial port and displaying them in a text box.
    Program is really only 3 button's/sections,first it checks if there's an available serial port(so search for available ports button),if there is then there's a read from port button and then it displays the values in a text box.
    Now I'm wondering can I graph those values as they're coming in?
    I've seen a few tutorials of using graphs in visual studio but there all involve where you yourself set the values for graph within the code instead of taking it from somewhere else.
    So any examples of graphing a serial port that I could follow would be helpful.
    thanks

Re: Graphing the serial Port

but there all involve where you yourself set the values for graph within the code instead of taking it from somewhere else.
    not trying to be mean when i say this, but that is programming.
    the values in the text box are being set from somewere, set them to a graph instead
    I've seen a few tutorials of using graphs in visual studio
    I followed a tutorial and done a program in visual studio, where its reading in values via the serial port and displaying them in a text box.
    you have a example of a graph and a example of how to get values from a serial port
    So any examples of graphing a serial port that I could follow would be helpful.
    i think the best answer is to google that very question.
    otherwise
    find the parts that take graph values and the parts that give the serial values
    then plug one into the other i.e. combine them if you get stuck with a specific problem
    ask or you can post the code to pastebin ect... and ask for help on specific questions.
    Last edited by willmotil; May 23rd, 2014 at 01:27 PM.

Re: Graphing the serial Port

Got it in the end,turned out I only needed to add about another 4 lines to get it going