CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] pointer-to-member array crashes with virtual inheritance

Hi,

I've got the following code which demonstrates a problem and am hoping someone can explain:

Code:
    struct A
    {
        double x[2];
        double i;
    };

struct B : virtual public A
    {
        double y[2];
    };

int main(void)
    {
        B test;
        test.x[0] = 300;
        test.i    = -5;

A const * const pA = &test;
        B const * const pB = &test;
        bool      const b  = reinterpret_cast<int const *>(pA)
                          != reinterpret_cast<int const *>(pB); // As expected

double (B::*pmemberBBi)    = &B::i;
        double (B::*pmemberBBx)[2] = &B::x;
        double (A::*pmemberABx)[2] = &B::x;

double const * const pBBi_B = &(pB->*pmemberBBi); // Valid pointer even though pointer to derived
        double const * const pBB_B  = pB->*pmemberBBx   ; // Null pointer, but why if the previous line worked?
        double const * const pAB_B  = pB->*pmemberABx   ; // Works (pointer to base)

double bbi_b = pB->*pmemberBBi    ; // Works fine even though it is pointer to derived
        double bb_b  = (pB->*pmemberBBx)[0]; // Crash, but why if the previous line worked?
        double ab_b  = (pB->*pmemberABx)[0]; // Works (pointer to base)

return 0;
    }
    I'm wondering if this is a compiler bug. Why doesn't the pointer-to-(derived)-member work for the array if it works for the non-array?

Thanks,
    GeoRanger

Re: pointer-to-member array crashes with virtual inheritance

Doesn't compile here:

http://ideone.com/TbDZg2

Regards,

Paul McKenzie

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Compiles and runs without any errors reported under VS2013 & VS2012. Just because it runs without a crash doesn't mean the program is correct though.

What compiler are you using?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

From 4.11.2 of the ANSI standard:

An rvalue of type “pointer to member of B of type cv T,” where B is a class type, can be converted to an
    rvalue of type “pointer to member of D of type cv T,” where D is a derived class (clause 10) of B. If B is an
    inaccessible (clause 11), ambiguous (10.2) or virtual (10.1) base class of D, a program that necessitates this
    conversion is ill-formed.
    Regards,

Paul McKenzie

Thank you both for your interest and responses.

Thank you Paul McKenzie for the quote from the Standard. That's the kind of information I was hoping to find.

2kaud, I'm using Visual Studio Premium 2012. It compiles with no errors or warnings even at Warning Level 4 (except for several "local variable is initialized but not referenced" warnings). What a trap! Intuitively, it seems like it should work.

Thanks,
    GeoRanger