CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Is it a bad practice not to use #define UNICODE when creating a Unicode application?

I like to know exactly what functions I am calling so I like to write something like CreateWindowExW() and CreateFileW() and not having to use macros.
    So can I do that without using #define UNICODE, or is calling the functions by their "real" names considered a bad practice?

Note: I am not interested in creating an ANSI version of the application.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Is it a bad practice not to use #define UNICODE when creating a Unicode applicati

If you like to type extra characters, it isn't a problem.

Re: Is it a bad practice not to use #define UNICODE when creating a Unicode applicati

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    If you like to type extra characters, it isn't a problem.
    lol I don't like to type extra characters I just like to know what a function does by looking at it and not thinking that I defined this or that...
    Sometimes I use CreateFileW() and WriteFileA() in the same code, so this is better than writing CreateFile() and WriteFileA() IMHO.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Whatever helps you understand your code is good.

the benefit of the macro's is that you can switch between ansi and unicode build.

if you ONLY care about a unicode binary... you don't have to use the _T() macro for all strings, you don't have to use the macro version of the functions but can explicitely call the 'W variant. Nothing wrong with that.