CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question Win 16-bit API development.

I read and recently saw that certain Win16 obsolete functions are still supported by newer Windows versions and that they even have 64-bit long mode. I know that they aren't encouraged to use but I'm very curious to do so. Imagine someone reverse-engineering your 64-bit modern executable, compiled with latest Visual Studio and saw function instances like 'WinExec', '_lopen'. This will be very cool!

If this isn't a reason I'm also very thirsty for knowledge about them.

But in the msdn library functions like '_lopen' aren't present althought that I have saw them in 'kernel32.dll' exports.

So my questions is where I can find Win3.x SDK or documentation (I was able to download some DDK but I don't think that this it). Please if somoene have something like this archieved - I'll very appreciate if he/she share it with me.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Win 16-bit API development.

From MSDN (October 2000):
    _lopen
    The _lopen function opens an existing file and sets the file pointer to the beginning of the file.

Note This function is provided only for compatibility with 16-bit versions of Windows. Win32-based applications should use the CreateFile function.

HFILE _lopen(
    LPCSTR lpPathName, // pointer to name of file to open
    int iReadWrite // file access mode
    );
    So you could try to find and download the MSDN from October 2000 and use this documentation.
    Victor Nijegorodov

Re: Win 16-bit API development.

Win32 API inherits to Win16, and therfore includes certain Win16 function prototypes. I.e. natively supports prototypes, but not implementation. That was made to ease porting Win16 apps back in 90-ies, but nowadays it looks like a rudiment.

As for Win16 Platform SDK, there's no point to look for the one, as 64-bit Windows does not include a subsystem for running 16-bit apps, but 32-bit compatible WoW only. Win95/98/Millennium family is the branch supporting native Win16 app execution, but I don't think this is what you're looking for.
    Best regards,
    Igor