CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

[RESOLVED] map iterators

I'm converting some c++ code from MS VS2003 to MS VS2013 and I'm come across a couple of lines of code re map iterators that now won't compile. Without changing the way the code works, can any guru offer a way of getting this code to compile with VS20103.

in a header file
    Code:
    class PROGLIBSPEC cOpts {
    private:
    	//Type defs for map
    	typedef std::map<cStr, cStr> TOPT;
    	typedef TOPT::const_iterator OPTITER;

TOPT	optns;

OPTITER	piter;

public:

//Default constructor
    	cOpts()  {
    		piter = NULL;
    		optns.clear();
    	}
    in a .cpp file
    Code:
    	//Has GetFirst been done first
    	if (piter == NULL) {
    		return (GetFirst(name));
    	}
    The problem is the compare/assignment with NULL which was allowed in VS2003 but isn't in VS2013. Any ideas? The code in .cpp is trying to ascertain whether an iterator has been set or not.

Please don't suggest changing NULL to optns.begin() as a later test is for this value!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: map iterators

I don't think there is a real nice method.

1) Before reading your "please" comment, I was going to suggest optns.end() [ set after the clear() ]

2) use a separate bool variable

3) and similar to #2, create an empty map of the same type, set piter equal to that containers end() and check against that.
    Last edited by Philip Nicoletti; January 15th, 2015 at 05:57 PM.

Re: map iterators

I was hoping there was some constant I haven't thought of that could be used - I even tried nullptr but that also gave the error. I had thought of 2) but not of 3). I'll think I'll go with 3) as that will be easier to fit into the existing code as there is over 100 of these type of classes! - and I can get a junior to do the same change to all these classes.

I've made the new empty map a const static member in the class and this works.

Thanks.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Re: [RESOLVED] map iterators

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Please don't suggest changing NULL to optns.begin() as a later test is for this value!
    Hum... I'd have suggested "optns.end()" instead... ?

Although if you do modify optns, then later, your piter might not compare with .end()

I'd have suggested simply "OPTITER()", but depending on implementation detail, this *could* compare true to "optns.begin()", if the map is empty. So I wouldn't really on magic values here. I would not chose 3 for that reason too mind you.

I'd go for #2. Though instead of having a separate boolean, you could make your iterator "null-able", via things like Boost.Optional. If you can't boost, than unique_ptr could be a "quick fix". It has the advantage of being certifiably correct, and are safe (AFAIK) in the sense that you can't accidentally "forget" to test.
    Is your question related to IO?
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

Thank you for your reply. I've implemented 3) as this required the least changes to the member functions. Testing has indicated that this works fine. I'm not keen on this solution and have flagged it as a migration issue. However currently the work is to undertake the migration from VS2003 to VS2013 with as little code change/logic change as possible. Once the migration has been completed and tested to confirm that the migrated system works the same as the previous, then additional work will be schedules to be undertaken to update and 'modernise' the code using the full range of c++11/14 features (much of this code was done using MS VC6). And before someone suggests, no we don't do a migration and updates at the same time - that way lies big headaches if things don't work properly afterwards!

Quote Originally Posted by monarch_dodra View Post
    Although if you do modify optns, then later, your piter might not compare with .end()
    are you sure ? map does not invalidate iterators (unless previously erased), so end() is required to not get invalidated, AFAIK.
    That said, I agree that boost:: optional would be the way to go ... ( unless piter is truly meant to mean end() ).

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud
    I've implemented 3) as this required the least changes to the member functions. Testing has indicated that this works fine. I'm not keen on this solution and have flagged it as a migration issue. However currently the work is to undertake the migration from VS2003 to VS2013 with as little code change/logic change as possible. Once the migration has been completed and tested to confirm that the migrated system works the same as the previous, then additional work will be schedules to be undertaken to update and 'modernise' the code using the full range of c++11/14 features
    AFAIR, note that the solution of comparing with end() is valid for c++03 too.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Thank you for your reply. I've implemented 3) as this required the least changes to the member functions. Testing has indicated that this works fine. I'm not keen on this solution and have flagged it as a migration issue. However currently the work is to undertake the migration from VS2003 to VS2013 with as little code change/logic change as possible. Once the migration has been completed and tested to confirm that the migrated system works the same as the previous, then additional work will be schedules to be undertaken to update and 'modernise' the code using the full range of c++11/14 features (much of this code was done using MS VC6). And before someone suggests, no we don't do a migration and updates at the same time - that way lies big headaches if things don't work properly afterwards!
    Sounds like a good plan actually
    Read this C++ FAQ article at parashift by Marshall Cline. In particular points 1-6.
    It will explain how to correctly deal with IO, how to validate input, and why you shouldn't count on "while(!in.eof())". And it always makes for excellent reading.

I would not chose 3 for that reason too mind you.
    Could you explain this further ?

Are you saying:

Code:
    SomeMapType m1,m2;

if (m1.end() == m2.end())  // this is possible
    {
    }
    I don't think this is possible by the standard (but it looks like it was the case for Vs2003?). It seems like "iterator reachability" would preclude that possibility (24.2.1-6). But I could be wrong, the wording of much of the standard is over my head.

Quote Originally Posted by Philip Nicoletti View Post
    It seems like "iterator reachability" would preclude that possibility (24.2.1-6).
    Reachability does not excluded that. For example, consider a graph with a tree topology; it could expose forward iterators from leaf to (the common) root, or even bidirectional iterators ( with some "branching" logic inside ). Note that the standard says that if i is reachable from j then they lie in the same "sequence", not the same "container" ...

that said, being map iterators bidirectional, i==j => --i == --j; so, unless I'm missing something, this along with the fact that end() never gets invalidates it should follows that m1.end() != m2.end() whenever m1 and m2 refer to different map instances.

Quote Originally Posted by superbonzo View Post
    are you sure ? map does not invalidate iterators (unless previously erased), so end() is required to not get invalidated, AFAIK.
    That said, I agree that boost:: optional would be the way to go ... ( unless piter is truly meant to mean end() ).
    Actually, that's a good point. I forgot about that. That means that my_map.end() is always valid *for a given map*, regardless of what you do to that map.

I would also guess that that kind of also guarantees that default initialization is also guaranteed to yield a unique (eg NULL) iterator? In this case, I don't think it even warrants messing with a static map, and one could just do "if ( piter == OPTITER() ) ..."
    Last edited by monarch_dodra; January 16th, 2015 at 08:08 PM.

In this case, I don't think it even warrants messing with a static map, and one could just do "if ( piter == OPTITER() ) ..."
    That's a great idea and makes the change trivial - it even works too!

Actually, that's a good point. I forgot about that. That means that my_map.end() is always valid *for a given map*, regardless of what you do to that map.

I would also guess that that kind of also guarantees that default initialization is also guaranteed to yield a unique (eg NULL) iterator? In this case, I don't think it even warrants messing with a static map, and one could just do "if ( piter == OPTITER() ) ..."
    uhm, yes and no ( well, to be really picky, I know ); default initialization gives you singular iterators, that may or may not compare equal ( consider "int *a,*b; assert(a==b); // we don't know" ); OTOH, value initialized forward iterators must give the same singular iterator, so that given "ForwardIter a{}, b{};" effectively implies a==b; but, this does not imply that a container iterator never compares equal to a value initialized iterator of the same type ( for instance, an empty container begin/end may simply return a pair of value-intialized iterators ); but yes, given that we know that map::end() do return a valid and unique iterator we can conclude that your conclusion is correct ( ie it's safe to assume that piter == OPTITER() works as expected )

... with the caveat that OPTITER() effectively gets value-initiazialized; unfortunately, some older compilers may not correctly value-initialize certain kind of objects.

A lot has changed from VS2003 to 2013.
    many containers not only have different parameters/return types on their members , but also behave differently.

You should consider proper code revisions rather than singling out individual lines of code and attempting to "fix" them.
    Or stick with VS2013.

There is another problem with using the default initialization of the iterator which you won't notice until you run the code in DEBUG mode in VS2013.

The debug version of the iterator comparison includes a check for iterators being within the same container. If you try to compare iterators from 2 different maps in debug mode, the run-time will assert with a debug error "map/set iterators incompatible".

This includes iterators to elements inserted into the map, the iterator returned from .end(), and also includes default initialized iterators.

Quote Originally Posted by OReubens View Post
    A lot has changed from VS2003 to 2013.
    many containers not only have different parameters/return types on their members , but also behave differently.

You should consider proper code revisions rather than singling out individual lines of code and attempting to "fix" them.
    Or stick with VS2013.
    Yes! The code now compiles 'cleanly' but of course this doesn't mean it still works. The code is now with testing to identify any conversion issues. Revision tickets have been raised where issues such as this have already been encountered and any further issues identified via testing will also raise revision tickets. Once all revision tickets have been examined then the way forward re the code base will be decided.

The way we are approaching conversion from old code bases to 'modern' c++11 is to firstly get the code to compile cleanly with VS2013 with as little code modification as possible, then to undertake testing with minimal code changes to get it work as previously. Then we undertake a code review to decide what/how needs changing. This approach has served us well previously.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast