CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Custom Command prompt

I have looked around for instructions on a custom prompt, but all I keep finding is visual customization, like color and window titles. The type of prompt I'm looking for is a program that I can run that has custom commands that do things such as opening files through destinations, displaying custom text through the prompt, and retrieving information from the system that preforms commands similar to ipconfig and net stat(windows cmd).
    If it is not to much already, it would also be great to have the commands fully customizable using either a basic text editor or an editor provided by the program itself. I am a beginner programmer and am very interested in learning how to do these things. Thank you for the support and if it is not doable I would understand because I'm still not completely understanding of the limits of programming.
    To contact me about information needed, either dm me or send me an email at mcserverloki@gmail.com (dont judge)

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Custom Command prompt

Welcome to the forum.

Most likely if folks need information, they're just going to ask you here rather than send you email. Btw, do you really want the expose your email to bots?

At any rate, it really isn't clear what you are after.

If you want something like

C:\>lociapp someoperation /s /Y:status

then you just need to write a console application and process the command line parameters.

If this is what you are after then it's a relatively simple matter to extend it to use a text file to describe the acceptable parameters (depending of what you want to do with those parameters).

On the other hand, if you are looking for something like a command interpreter that processes commands like dir, rd and so on without typing the program first, then that is entirely different.

I would like a command prompt that responds to custom commands. For example, I would configure the program to respond with the text display "hello world" if I typed "hw" into the prompt. I would create a command, and pair that command with an action. Again, I am just beginning to program, so layman's terms would be amazing thx!

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by lokiloki19 View Post
    I would like a command prompt that responds to custom commands. For example, I would configure the program to respond with the text display "hello world" if I typed "hw" into the prompt. I would create a command, and pair that command with an action. Again, I am just beginning to program, so layman's terms would be amazing thx!
    As a beginner, the following might be out of reach (because it would require you to write a command interpreter, which isn't trivial).

C:\>hw
    Hello World!

However, this should be doable.
    C:\>loci hw
    Hello World!

Btw, ipconfig and net are both programs (they're really ipconfig.exe and net.exe).

So if you can accept having to type in a program name (I used 'loci'), then you will make your life much easier. As a new programmer, you most likely will have enough to learn without going the advanced command interpreter route.