CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

make container of exe's using tabs

Requirement : There should be tab document container. Each tab should correspond to separate executable. UI of each exe should be contained inside the tab.
    As soon as user clicks on 1st tab then exe should be running inside the tab area and when user selects 2nd tab then UI corresponding to the 2nd tab should be contained inside the 2nd tab.

How to develop it in MFC.

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: make container of exe's using tabs

I could be wrong, I don't think that's possible. OLE can let you embed apps, but they have to be designed to allow it.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Are these exe's ones you have developed - or can they be any exe? If you have control over the exe's then this is doable as you can have co-operating processes.

For other exe's, this may be doable using hooks and message posting - by re-sizing and overlaying the exe window over the tab area and making sure that it stays there.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    For other exe's, this may be doable using hooks and message posting - by re-sizing and overlaying the exe window over the tab area and making sure that it stays there.
    you'll need a LOT more than just hooking messages.

you'll also need to either virtualize/hook the DC used to paint in the other app. (or rewire it all using RDP/terminal services tech)
    you'll need to duplicate all child windows, and perform mapping between the two to reroute messages
    you'll need to route all input TO the other app
    you'll need to marshall all data transfers (since pointer values in one exe have no meaning in another exe)

while "technically" you "could do this". I'm going to say that if you have no control over the other exe, this is "impossible" from a practical pov, you'll simply need to do way too much.

-

if the other exe's are Ole/ActiveX controls, or have been specifically been written to have their UI embedded in another app using some kind of interface/api, then this should be doable.