CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Anybody remember Sequiter Software's Codebase 6.5?

Quote Originally Posted by cdcook View Post
    Hey jmmicmc, I have a new Codebase 6.5 still in the box. With CD and Visual Basic Reference Guide and Getting Started manual.
    I did get an answer from Sequiter and they said that the product is off the market. I already have an application and so I need only a driver to access the files. However if the cost of everything is not too much I might consider it.

James

Quote Originally Posted by PredicateNormative View Post
    Something that disappeared off the radar 12 years ago is not a good thing to rely on.
    Let's not get wobbly just yet! Codebase included the source code with their packages, and good C source is always useful.

Our company bought a Codebase license about 6 years ago and has built an extensive library in Python to make use of it. The product is worth staying with even with Sequiter's disappearance because data access with Codebase is up to 10X faster than MySQL. The only modern product we found after extensive testing that could touch it was FoxPro itself (now discontinued also) and more recently MongoDB.

We are hoping the issue of the intellectual property of Codebase can be resolved and the product made freely available, so as to give it life long into the future. We have source code and have recompiled it with MS Visual Studio, so it really isn't necessary for Sequiter to be involved any more. I believe most licensed users received the source code as mentioned above. Also, the source code can be compiled into a 64-bit DLL, so it really is potentially usable in modern systems.

Has anyone sorted out the issue of sharing the source code with the programming community?

Hello GBergmann,

first excuse my english, i'm from a foreign country.

There are different versions of codebase.
    I've got Codebase 6.? Codebase for Windows bought in august 2014, it should be one of the latest versions, it has the Large file support for FoxPro or dBASE file format. It is not support with the Clipper file format..

How can I help ?

regards

GBergmann,

I ment this version supports Clipper format but the large file support is not support with the Clipper file format, ONLY FoxPro or dBASE file format.

rgds

Hey there! I'm doing some work on a project that uses codebase DLL. The source code on the 6.5 CD here doesn't match the DLL we're using, and one of the older devs said that Sequiter sent a download link to a newer version of the DLL. Unfortunately, as this was a few years ago, nobody knows if source code was made available, or where it would be. The DLL I have (C4DLL.DLL) is 428Kb, dated 10/11/1999 07:50. Anybody know what version this would be, and how I could get access the corresponding source code?

Thanks in advance!

Hmm, very sad to read this thread.

I've been using Codebase for a lot of years now, firstly with version 4.5, and later with 5. Never moved on to 6.whatever, 5 was still working fine for me.

More importantly, I added quite a pile of 'enhancements' to my version, and the thought of trying to add all of that into a later version was just too daunting.

My additions, by the way, were made up from a lot of 'borrowing' from the example code of CID, to make my browsing system, plus various things from CodeTranslator.

I was thinking at various times of linking processes to Btrieve, and then MySQL, but never bothered.

I'm still maintaining one commercial system using my 'enhanced' system, they tell me they keep looking for a more modern replacement but so far have failed to find anything anything like as functional as my system, so my 'retirement' continues to be delayed!

Way back, Sequiter had a web site, and before that a BBS, and I remember checking there for updates etc. As noted, even the website is now 'deceased'!

My system still works fine, so I'm not too worried!

Oh, there was a newsgroup:

comp.databases.xbase.codebase

but there's nothing happening on that these days!

Sad, really.

Geoff, Guisborough, England

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB17 View Post
    Hmm, very sad to read this thread.

I've been using Codebase for a lot of years now, firstly with version 4.5, and later with 5. Never moved on to 6.whatever, 5 was still working fine for me.

More importantly, I added quite a pile of 'enhancements' to my version, and the thought of trying to add all of that into a later version was just too daunting.

My additions, by the way, were made up from a lot of 'borrowing' from the example code of CID, to make my browsing system, plus various things from CodeTranslator.

I was thinking at various times of linking processes to Btrieve, and then MySQL, but never bothered.

I'm still maintaining one commercial system using my 'enhanced' system, they tell me they keep looking for a more modern replacement but so far have failed to find anything anything like as functional as my system, so my 'retirement' continues to be delayed!

Way back, Sequiter had a web site, and before that a BBS, and I remember checking there for updates etc. As noted, even the website is now 'deceased'!

My system still works fine, so I'm not too worried!

Oh, there was a newsgroup:

comp.databases.xbase.codebase

but there's nothing happening on that these days!

Sad, really.

Geoff, Guisborough, England

I'm too still using CodeBase 6.5 for some legacy projects. It's a real good and very fast product, still very useful for data conversion utilities. I only miss a good C++ SQL wrapper/interface.

It seems that Sequiter Software, Inc is still in business, but has discontinued Codebase. It'd be interesting to know if Sequiter would agreed to donate Codebase as a free or open software project to keep it alive.

regards

I'm surprised to hear that Sequiter may be still in business, I've tried searching for reference to them, without success. Their web site(s) seem to be inactive, their domains are 'available' to buy, their last listed premises seems to be now occupied by someone else. Do you have some details?

Yes, it would be nice if they were to pass their software to the 'community', as it is certainly worth keeping.

People are still using it. I understand that someone has a set of perl (or PHP ?) processes for accessing dBase files that use Codebase underneath.

Regarding SQL, note that the FreeBasic project has a useful set of methods to access both SQL and MySQL, and that can also use other C or C++ libraries, so it would be possible to incorporate Codebase into a prog with SQL access as well? Maybe that would help you?

Geoff

Hm, yes, there's a 'Sequiter Inc', which links to something else to do with legal documents. Logo is in fact similar, just without the 'Software' bit. Interesting to know if anyone is still there that had anything to do with CodeBase?

Geoff

More further to the above..

If you need SQL, and xBase, then look at the xHarbour systems. I've been playing with the HMG variant/package, and apart from the 'natural' Clipper/Foxbase facilities there are extras already built-in regarding MySQL and SQLite. Don't know how complete these are, I've not tried to use them, but the Clipper/Fox etc parts work well.

Geoff

Thanks I'll have a look at these SQL solutions you point out here. We have a legacy big CodeBase program we wanted to make some improvements to avoid a whole rewrite. If CodeBase had a better SQL C++ interface things would be easier. We are now testing Recital SQL Server, a dBase/Clipper/Foxpro Server.

Doing some google search you can find out that Sequiter, Inc. (incorporated in 2010) is a sort of succesor to Sequiter Software, Inc. (founded in 1984) with the same CEO, address and telephone numbers:

http://listings.fta-companies-ca.com...in-Edmonton-AB
    http://www.checkcompany.co.uk/compan.../SEQUITER-INC.
    http://www.checkcompany.co.uk/direct...KENNETH-SAWYER

As I told before we have some active CodeBase projects, and 2 years ago we had problems with CodeReport 2.0 (long ago discontinued), and they kindly sent us all the sources so we could recompile it and use it under more recent versions of Windows.

Possibly CodeBase may rely on third party patents and that's why they can't give it easyly away. Or they might have selled the rights to another company, as Borland did way back with dBase, (to dBase, LLC).

But if we don't ask we'll never know. Perhaps as you say they would pass their software to the community. It'd be nice if someone knowing about open software projects asked them.

Regards.

I've had a quick look into my FreeBasic bits, and this might be a better way?

The libraries etc supplied with the basic system/package include MySQL and SQLite. I don't know if the latter would be enough for you? I've made use of the MySQL library, and was able to easily create progs to access a MySQL file and extract data. Worked pretty quickly too.

I was cheating mind you, extracting from the MySQL into a fixed text format, and then using DBU to import as CSV into the .DBF - saved quite a bit of complexity.

You may need to do things 'correctly'. To achieve this, I'd guess you need to use an appropriate compiler (gcc ?) to re-compile the CodeBase lib and create it as a compatible library for FreeBasic. I guess you'd need to create a .h file with the required templates/definitions etc. I think that many of the existing .h files refer to some sort of auto-generation, need to check that out too.

Then you'd have a FreeBasic that could interface with BOTH xbase files, and SQL?

The problem with the HMG (or generally xHarbour) is that the xbase interface is specifically Clipper (or dBase or Fox) and NOT C or C++ (anything like Codebase) . You indicate that your existing systems are too large to easily convert.

Of course, you COULD use something like HMG to create a separate linking program that would act independantly to move data back and forth between SQL (again actually SQLite) and xBase files, if that was a practical thing to do?

Regarding Sequiter, yes, I have seen those references, but clearly nothing to do with software any more. All to do with legal forms, and two or three other web identities, all linked to Sawyer.

I doubt there's anything to do with 3rd party software - never seen any reference to anything. I had CodeBase 4.5, and that was a quite different system structurally (or at least the interface was) but you could see the links within the source code. 5 was a massive re-write of 4, as it moved towards C++ and OOPs. Maybe 6.5 had something 'problematic' in?

I think I had CodeReport, but never did anything with it. First of all, it was WinDoze, secondly, I could do so much more writing my own progs.

Geoff

Just wanted to extend my hand if anyone needs help with any code pertaining to CodeBase or has any questions. Been working with it long enough to be able to lend a hand. There aren't many places to ask for help, at least not that I can find. Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by trevster344 View Post
    Just wanted to extend my hand if anyone needs help with any code pertaining to CodeBase or has any questions. Been working with it long enough to be able to lend a hand. There aren't many places to ask for help, at least not that I can find. Cheers.
    Any chance that you have a working understanding of compiling the Codebase source to a 64-bit dll? I have the source, and can compile it to a 32-bit dll, but I keep getting errors when I specify a 64-bit DLL output. Any ideas? One problem seems to have something to do with zlib.dll which needs to be included in the VS project in order to create the 32-bit dll -- but it appears to be a 32-bit DLL and would be incompatible with at 64-bit link, I'd think.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast