CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Exclamation When it comes to C++ and Visual C++, what are the most important topics to know?

First, let me thank you for using Codeguru. Your patronage is appreciated.

We are currently doing a little research, so you'll see questions like the topic of this thread ins several areas. We are trying to understand what is considered important to developers (you) in given topic areas.

In this case, what do you consider important topics, tools, features, technology around C++ and Visual C++? What is it topics would get your attention? What topics do you think are most important for developers?

Post your thoughts (or opinions) in this thread. Feel free to state your level of experience on the topic as well since those will experience likely have different opinions than newbies!

Brad!
    Site Admin
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: When it comes to C++ and Visual C++, what are the most important topics to know?

For c++ IMO I would rate detailed knowledge of the Standard Library as most important for developers, followed by classes
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: When it comes to C++ and Visual C++, what are the most important topics to know?

While the Standard library is important, I wouldn't call it "most important". You can get a lot of real work done without using the standard library, and if you're using a framework like MFC, you could even be writing extensive programs without ever using the SL at all.

I I would probably more go with:
    - understand basic programming concepts, and basic C/C++ syntax to apply those concepts (use C++ as a "better C", you'll use this in all the rest anyway)
    - understand the object oriented approach to programming, and the C++ syntax to apply this (use C++ the way it's intended: classes, encapsulation, composition/inheritance/delegation & polymorphism)
    - The Standard library
    - and the SL is your bridge from OO to explaining/understanding generic design with templates.

When writing sample code, even in basic programming concepts, it's often unavoidable to use the SL to get some basic I/O going, but I found it to be perfectly possible to just tell students to "just do it this way, I'll explain later". I find this better then trying to explain them how C-style IO works.

I am agreeing wtih both 2kaud and OReubens. both sets of ideas are very good. but i would like to add on it

1. Knowing STL will help one determine whether to use it or not. So Id personally say that STL knowledge is one of the most important factors
    understand the object oriented approach to programming, and the C++ syntax to apply this (use C++ the way it's intended: classes, encapsulation, composition/inheritance/delegation & polymorphism)
    ....very important
    3. Fully understanding atleast one of the libraries. Most developers tend to code things that are already available in some if not one of the libraries.
    4. THE MOST IMPORTANT TO ME: the syntax of programming, knowing the most DOs and DON'Ts of programming
    --------------------------------------------------
    Please pardon me for having bad English.

In this forum I expect to find topics about Microsoft technologies related to native C++ development.

But I wouldn't mind if topics weren't limited to Windows and Microsoft alone but also included other platforms and companies as well because I'm most interested in the broader view and to be well informed in general.

When it comes to the C++ language itself I'm most interested in best usage issues, good design and C++ in relation to other languages.