CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

want to write Client/Server Application for streaming of Videos

I have few training videos.I want to write a Client Server application to stream those videos on desktop.Server will keep listening to multiple client requests and based on client's request server will return video data.

Client Application dialog will show the list of Videos Available with Server.After clicking a video streaming of data should begin from Server and Client application could show that Video.Similar to youtube but not on web.

I am planning to write Multithreaded Server and Client and for connection will be using Sockets and for storing the path of videos in backend will use MYSQL.

Please share your thoughts on my approach or if you have any better suggestions please share it.

Is there any code available in C/C++ for streaming of Videos?

Thanks in Advance,
    Vineet

Re: want to write Client/Server Application for streaming of Videos

Quote Originally Posted by vineet Sharma View Post
    I have few training videos.I want to write a Client Server application to stream those videos on desktop.
    Well, the simplest "streaming" is possible with WMV. The server part is plain Apache + PHP (where PHP code just echoing the bytes of requested file chunk by chunk), and client experience part is Windows Media Player opening respective URL. Works great with moderate file sizes, at least in a local network.

As for real streaming solutions, I would recommend you to start with RTSP RFC. You find out quite soon that the things are not that simple as you see it right now.
    Last edited by Igor Vartanov; October 27th, 2015 at 02:39 AM.

Re: want to write Client/Server Application for streaming of Videos

Thanks Igor for giving me direction, I will go through RTSP RFC

Vineet