CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Troubles with opening CG forums started Oct 26 2015

I think giving Heidi and our IT guys a bottle of vodka might distract them from the servers....

I've asked again if there is anything I can do to help resolve this. I don't believe we are seeing the issue at this time on other forums, so that reduces the chances of changing the axle.....
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Heidi made a change on one of our servers. Let me know if you see the issues today. The issues might come back later (due to a bit of automation in place with the server change), but we are doing a bit of internal a/b testing to see if the server issue is the cause. Once we determine if it is the cause, then we can deal with eradicating it long term.

Thanks guys!

Update: This change might not make the error go away; however, we are doing some testing to see if it reduces the frequency of some other issues. If it does, then we will roll out a bigger change based on what we learn, that should help resolve things.
    Last edited by Brad Jones; December 7th, 2015 at 11:48 AM.

I couldn't repro it yesterday - but just now I repro'd it 3 times in a row.

Code:
    http://forums.codeguru.com/css.php?styleid=11&langid=1&d=1446664171&td=ltr&sheet=forumbits.css,forumhome.css,options.css
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)
    Code:
    http://forums.codeguru.com/css.php?styleid=11&langid=1&d=1446664171&td=ltr&sheet=additional.css
    Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 500 (Internal Server Error)

http://forums.codeguru.com/css.php?styleid=11&langid=1&d=1446664171&td=ltr&…howthread.css,postbit.css,options.css,attachment.css,poll.css,lightbox.css 
    Code:
    Request URL:http://forums.codeguru.com/css.php?styleid=11&langid=1&d=1446664171&td=ltr&sheet=bbcode.css,editor.css,popupmenu.css,reset-fonts.css,vbulletin.css,vbulletin-chrome.css,vbulletin-formcontrols.css,
    Request Method:GET
    Status Code:500 Internal Server Error
    Remote Address:70.42.23.121:80

Response Headers
    Cache-Control:public
    Connection:close
    Content-Encoding:gzip
    Content-Length:20
    Content-Type:text/html; charset=utf-8
    Date:Mon, 07 Dec 2015 21:02:20 GMT
    Expires:Mon, 07 Dec 2015 21:02:20 GMT
    Server:Apache
    Set-Cookie:WMUUID=xxx domain=forums.codeguru.com; path=/;
    Vary:Cookie,Accept-Encoding

Request Headers
    Accept:text/css,*/*;q=0.1
    Accept-Encoding:gzip, deflate, sdch
    Accept-Language:en-US,en;q=0.8
    Connection:keep-alive
    Cookie:xxx
    DNT:1
    Host:forums.codeguru.com
    Referer:http://forums.codeguru.com/showthread.php?552461-Troubles-with-opening-CG-forums-started-Oct-26-2015/page3
    User-Agent:Mozilla/5.0 (Windows NT 10.0; Win64; x64) AppleWebKit/537.36 (KHTML, like Gecko) Chrome/47.0.2526.73 Safari/537.36
    gg

Thanks for the feedback. Looks like I might need to suggest an a/b/c test instead of just an a/b test....

Well, humbly I would say, a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/ test looks a bit more attractive. No matter what those letters really mean.
    Best regards,
    Igor

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Igor Vartanov View Post
    Well, humbly I would say, a/b/c/d/e/f/g/h/ test looks a bit more attractive. No matter what those letters really mean.
    Those letters mean There Is No Such Thing As Bad Vodka.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Now sometimes rather than having the display page shown but messed up, I'm getting no display page at all when I view a thread - just a white screen! Refresh brings it back..
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I might need to get Heidi some Vodka. The change she made failed. She made another change today, but I don't think it will be a fix. She is is still digging. We have determined that we believe the issue is actually on two of our forums - this one and WebDeveloper, but we aren't seeing it on VBForums. We've tried to align all the settings, but I don't think we are there as far as solving the issue.

This is a crazy one. Or maybe that is me that is the crazy one......

Are things running any better, or are you still seeing the same issues? (My assumption is you are still seeing the same issues).

You guess right!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    You guess right!
    But this is one of those times I was hoping to be wrong.....

Occurred while checking this thread.
    F5 - occurred again.
    One more was good - and this reply.

gg

Today has been particularly bad - with just about every page being displayed incorrectly and requiring at least one and sometimes 2 or 3 reloads to obtain a correct display.

I'm using Chrome and haven't had a page load issue here in a while. Then again, a couple of our sister sites have a chronic issue... I can't help but think the issue is related to the ads.

My Chrome doesn't load ads (sorry). While inspecting the "Network" in Chrome, the 4th GET request is where I get the 500:

Name:  cg_fail.png
Views: 289
Size:  12.3 KB

(2nd request was intentionally blocked)

gg

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast