CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

A Game Debug.txt Info Required

Hiya's,

First off i'm not a coder, i have modded several games and still do

If i explain somewhat things may appear clearer as to why i'm posting

I found a browser game (thehunter) last july 2014 and fell in love with it, it's labelled as a f2p but in reality it's a micro-transaction game, and thus far i've put around 1k US dollars into it

Now to my being here, for several months others and myself get a certain error, the game throws up error 16005 the game has crashed

Up until the latest reserve (the game is a hunting game) ran perfect, so stable in fact i could play a game through steam sametime as playing thehunter through it's standalone version

Others and myself can repeat the 16005 crashing, also, we can avoid it, the only thing is avoiding the 16005 error means hardly any moving in the game thus you don't get the error, this obviously makes no sense when you want to wander around hunting animals

We share the problem across xp - w10, but, they are phasing xp/vista support out which i totally understand for security reasons

So, my hope is, if i post a snip of our debug.txt someone could enlighten me as to what could be causing the error, i will add, the devs assumed it was xp/vista at fault, well from day one i knew the error effected xp-w10 as i host games and had many regulars using all the spectrum of M$ OS's, others and myself even tried different OS's, myself i tried vista x64 ultimate/w7 ultimate x64/now using w10 pro x64

Here's a snip below, i best add, i have had several games in the past that were c++ pains, as-in needing certain versions etc or crashes could occur

I went down the cpp route to try and fix errors as it showed in the debug, but as i say i mod at most and do not code, i'm not even sure if i'm in the ballpark think along the lines of cpp problems, so here i am asking the gurus for some input

The debug.txt, i know already this will mean hardly anything to even gurus, but it means even less to myself as i've spent so many hours trying to find information regarding this lol

[1204/182554:INFO:SkCanvas.cpp(863)] Unable to create device for layer.
    [1204/182554:INFO:SkCanvas.cpp(863)] Unable to create device for layer.
    [1204/182555:INFO:SkCanvas.cpp(863)] Unable to create device for layer.
    [1204/182555:INFO:SkCanvas.cpp(863)] Unable to create device for layer.
    [1204/182556:INFO:SkCanvas.cpp(863)] Unable to create device for layer.
    [1204/182652:INFO:SkCanvas.cpp(863)] Unable to create device for layer.
    [1204/182652:INFO:SkCanvas.cpp(863)] Unable to create device for layer.

My lay person thinking was this, the .cpp stood for c.plus.plus and for some reason there was an error due to a rendering problem or a memory buffer problem, if i try to condense my test findings it may help

Ingame time is 1hr ingame time to 30mins realtime

Game can start 5am and finish 7pm, so a full session gaming can take me 7hrs realtime

To finish a game with no error, start 5am, stay ingame but maybe only play a max of 1hr realtime, then go afk for 6hrs realtime, game comes to a natural end

To cause a crash, start 5am and try to play as normal, walking/shooting/harvesting kills etc, it's a random crash as such but generally i can manage 3hrs to 4.5hrs realtime without crashing but from then on it can happen anytime

Any, and i mean any info or ideas would be amazing, i know the game's not for everyone and yep it's getting dated by todays standards, but i would love to have my main game back

Many Thanks

Sorry for the long winded post

Tony

ps: hope it was ok to post in this forum

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: A Game Debug.txt Info Required

If you have the source code to the game, you can track down the error. The error seems clear enough and tells you the file it occurs in. A developer would need to run the game through a debugger and step through the code. Probably some resource isn't getting freed up so after a while the game can't create the new device for the layer (whatever that means).

Hiya Arjay,

thehunter is what i guess is called a browser style game

I have 1k dollars so far invested in the game, i did think about trying to run some kind of degguger on a freshly made new account, but then thought better of doing so, as with the anti-cheat or whatever they have coded ingame i don't won't to lose 16mths of chucking money into the game

For 70 days now others and myself have been hoping for a patch to fix this error, you know what we got !!! 2 reskins (ok i could of done the same in very little time and a visual artist did it not a game dev coder) of 2 weapons already in the game + a new crossbow and shortly to be released a .45 long pistol, taking the pee i think releasing stuff on top of a crashing game, but hey ho this seems to be todays gaming companies for you lol

The one saving grace so to speak is now more and more players are crashing, i think until the majority of us complain this company is just releasing items knowing that ones will buy just to keep their scores high

I am really at a loss as to them not even responding to questions, other bugs are in the game, but the crashing is obviously the worst

I feel so annoyed as this game is my main game, lol don't laugh, besides this i generally just play silent hunter series of sims, my last dvd game was bf3 hehe

Well Thankyou for your response Arjay

I can just hope along with other players 2016 brings not new items to waste dollars on but a game back to being stable and enjoyable

Thanks Again

Def

A developer would need to run the game through a debugger and step through the code. Probably some resource isn't getting freed up so after a while the game can't create the new device for the layer (whatever that means).

Hiya,

To be blunt, i don't think the coders know their A$$ from their elbow

This has been ongoing since last year, only recently yet again devs have left and new blood taken on

And now more people have this crashing error, they did yet another open-beta to collect crash data ........... but in reality................ was another open-beta to test a new animal they introduced lmao

Since i can't see them fixing the game, i've moved back to simulations, chucking shed loads at x-plane 10 now instead of thehunter, and not once have i had any problems and i am again enjoying gaming

I hear what you're saying about a debugger, i guess they have no idea howto create or use one i guess

One thing, since at least October 2015 until now, surely any dev worth their salt would of at least had some patches for players to try upto this date ? !!!! (you might guess this hasn't been the case lol)

Well, maybe 2017 after they keep losing big spenders they will put more resources into a fix

Cheers for reply

Have Fun

Def

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

For memory management in C++, following this rule will get you a long way:
    When you allocate memory, always be sure to free it.

If a developer gets into the habit of doing that immediately in code, then they probably won't get into the position where there is a lot of code that is leaking badly.

Its good article and all thhe information is so good.

Thanks for sharing

I am really at a loss as to them not even responding to questions, other bugs are in the game, but the crashing is obviously the worst

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

I am really at a loss as to them not even responding to questions, other bugs are in the C, but the crashing is obviously the worst
    What "questions"?
    What "bugs"?
    In what "game"?
    How is (and what) is crashing?
    Victor Nijegorodov