CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

VS2015 Express crashes when stopping at breakpoint.

Hi, I'm working with Visual Studio Express 2015 (Windows 7 service pack 1) and I'm having a problem with a particular project in C# .Net 4.0 (other projects targetting same platform work ok).

When I set a breakpoint, the Visual Studio debugger crashes and I get a "a 64-bit debugging operation is taking longer than expected" message, and then the debugger just stops. This happens no matter where I set the breakpoint, even inside the Program.cs file before launching the MainGUI form. The application runs perfectly fine if no breakpoints are hit, but as soon as an exception is thrown or a breakpoint is hit, the debugger crashes.

I removed the code I had added before it started crashing but it still does, and any kind of rollback won't fix this either. However, since other projects are working, it wouldn't seem like a Visual Studio issue, or network, or Windows Update (?). Next step would be recreating the solution, but if anyone has a better idea, I'd really appreciate any help.

Thank you very much,

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: VS2015 Express crashes when stopping at breakpoint.

Reboot machine, clean and rebuild all on the solution.

That's pretty much the first thing I tried. Blamed Windows Update at first, since I got a few in a row during reboots, but it wasn't... shame on me not trusting MS...
    Then I cleaned the solution, even manually deleted the bin folders, rebuilt, and it still crashes. I'll try recreating the solution.

I had a similar problem which only showed up debugging a background worker. Eventually I uninstalled and re-installed VS which cured the problem although I have a nagging suspicion it is going to happen again. I think there is a bug in VS which is corrupting something as it has happened before. But I think you may be correct blaming update as I vaguely remember that I did so myself and did not repeat the update process!
    Last edited by RogerD; March 17th, 2016 at 11:43 AM.

Hi Roger, thank you for that. I uninstalled/reinstalled VS and all C++ runtime and anything with "dev" in it's name basically, still no luck. Guess I'll strip down my solution, check what project is causing the problem and piece it back together again when I get it to work. Wish me luck.

Thanks for the help!