CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

API software question

Good morning! My name is Scott, I work as a systems analyst but my strength is primarily in networking and have really no experience programming. Recently I was challenged with researching and purchasing a check scanner (Epson TM-S1000) I carefully asked a lot of questions to the re-seller and was told "oh yeah, it'll do that"

The thing is they never told me this scanner does not come with software (Well it did but it is completely stripped down with no functionality at all) This software would require me to write a whole program from scratch and that is just not realistic for me. Sure I could return it but my goal is to make one of our staff members job more efficient and I need to keep this machine.

I had found somewhere online some basic program that was written for what we need to do, and really all I need help with is modifying the code to do one simple task.

The scanner has 2 output pockets to seperate checks and stubs. the user would sort out a bulk of checks and stubs by hand in a manner of check,stub,check,stub,check,stub.... The scanner would run them and dump checks in one pocket and stubs in the other.

It appears the function is called "waterfall" when I open the console to the program there is a tab for waterfalling but no matter what options I check off the device wont separate them. I am kind of at a loss on what to do considering the folder that contains the .exe to run the program comes with a bunch of files that all have code but I cant tell which one I need to prod at or even where in the code I need to make modifications.

Id like to keep this introduction brief so you dont have to read a bunch of garbage and Im happy to reply to any questions you have for me. I have attached a screenshot of the files.

Please and thank you!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: API software question

Can you summarize what exactly you are looking for?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Can you summarize what exactly you are looking for?
    Yes, thank you for asking Arjay, there is a number of requirements I need this device to do and I think if someone can get me on the right track with one of the tasks I need this scanner to do I think then I will know more about which file to edit to get the other requirements dialed in for the end user.

As I mentioned in my first post, I need the scanner to separate the different types of documents after scanned and dump them into appropriate pockets (need them sorted) see attached image that has checks and stubs separated into different output pockets. The second image is a screenshot of the GUI where Im 99% certain (but not 100%) the tab "Waterfall" is where you define separation of those docs but no matter what I chose the device will not sort them.

Im happy to post the source code if you need but I will try to keep posts small and sane.
    Attached Images Attached Images   

When I open the project file "TMS1000Sample.csproj" Here is a screenshot of the editor using Visual Studio 2015
    But again... I have no clue how to code.Name:  wtfork.jpg
Views: 315
Size:  13.8 KB

How To Test API Prgram?

Resolved Re: API software question

Quote Originally Posted by son1ane View Post
    How To Test API Prgram?
    testing..... yes that would be helpful to anyone who was to offer help. Unfortunately without the epson check scanner at your disposal and without the API package Im sure it would be difficult for you to help. I guess this is more so my fault or misunderstanding about the assistance I might receive in this forum. I maybe had hoped someone would be able to look at the code and just say something like "oh, yeah... turn the bit value for waterfall to 1x00" or something along those lines. So my apologies if I haven't done the best communicating on my problem.

Fortunately I work with a database administrator who is a computer science major and has tackled this project and is doing well. I think this thread can be closed now.

Thanks all for reading!