CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Windows 10 Update

Out of curiosity, do you have these machines set to auto-install updates?

Or do you wait a while and install a bunch of them (like every 6 months or so)?

Anyone running the BETA version will be required to do a FRESH INSTALL. Current version expires March 15, 2017. I found out after hours of support calls, trying to keep Office 2013 updates from jamming the system. (Didn't have it installed. Only Office 2016 (from Office 365))

It was baked up in the cloud, so I didn't lose much data (that wasn't in Windows.old). Still have another ssyten to do before March.
    David

CodeGuru Article: Bound Controls are Evil-VB6
    2013 Samples: MS CODE Samples

CodeGuru Reviewer
    2006 Dell CSP
    2006, 2007 & 2008 MVP Visual Basic
    If your question has been answered satisfactorily, and it has been helpful, then, please, Rate this Post!

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Out of curiosity, do you have these machines set to auto-install updates?

Or do you wait a while and install a bunch of them (like every 6 months or so)?
    Hi Arjay,

Both machines are set to auto-install. Machine #1 had done its last update on 9th Oct (6 days ago) and machine #2, just 4 days ago, on 11th Oct.

BTW - my point here wasn't that it was taking a long time to install. I was querying the fact that it was spending days saying checking for updates. Even if the update itself takes a few hours, the checking stage shouldn't be taking hours (or days, in my case!!)
    Last edited by John E; October 15th, 2016 at 01:21 AM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Both machines are set to auto-install.
    As KB3172605 is just a recommended update and was released prior to when machine #1 was last updated, it looks like that the auto-install config isn't auto-installing all the recommended updates - possibly just the important ones? This may be why KB3172605 wasn't already installed?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Yeah, it looks like all my machines are set up the same. Maybe I should install the recommend updates too in future...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Yeah, it looks like all my machines are set up the same. Maybe I should install the recommend updates too in future...
    but the upgrade to Windows 10 was a recommended update.......
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Yeah, it's definitely a slow server or some kind of speed issue. I noticed that the space on my C:\ drive was hardly changing (it was only decreasing by about 200Kb every hour or so). But I then noticed that svshost.exe was consuming a huge amount of cpu usage. I then found this article with some suggested remedies. Solution #3 was to empty something called the Event Viewer Log (which I did and then re-booted).

Windows Update is still running - but my C:\ drive space is decreasing a lot quicker now (200Kb every minute or so).

Hopefully that's fixed it
    It was helpful I've tried one of those methods and it helped me to resolve the problem.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by kevindkan View Post
    It was helpful I've tried one of those methods and it helped me to resolve the problem.
    Which method did you try and what problem did it resolve?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Which method did you try and what problem did it resolve?
    I would also like to know please

Yeah, it's definitely a slow server or some kind of speed issue. I noticed that the space on my C:\ drive was hardly changing (it was only decreasing by about 200Kb every hour or so). But I then noticed that svshost.exe was consuming a huge amount of cpu usage. I then found this article with some suggested remedies. Solution #3 was to empty something called the Event Viewer Log (which I did and then re-booted).

Windows Update is still running - but my C:\ drive space is decreasing a lot quicker now (200Kb every minute or so).

Hopefully that's fixed it
    This didn't work for me and this creepy process is hogging up the entire CPU resulting in Excel lagging heavily which my business relies on.

See posts #27 and #34. Make sure that you have KB3172605 installed and have rebooted since.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123