CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

[RESOLVED] python / perl / waf

I'm not quite sure where to put this question but here goes...

I'm using MSVC to build a program which normally gets built (on Windows) using gcc. The gcc build gets done via waf - which (I believe?) is essentially python.

It's a C++ program so obviously, my MSVC project processes the various C and CPP files. Also, there's a pre-build step which runs a perl script to process some external files.

I'm no expert with either python nor perl - but one of the waf wscript files contains a section which looks like this:-

Code:
        # NATIVE BINDING FILES
        # explicitly state the use of perl here so that it works on windows too
        # 
        a_rule = 'perl ../tools/fmt-bindings --platform="%s" --winkey="%s" --accelmap ${SRC[0].abspath()} >${TGT}' % (sys.platform, bld.env['WINDOWS_KEY'] )
        for b in [ 'ardour' ] :
            obj = bld(
                target = b + '.keys',
                source = [ b + '.keys.in', 'mixer.bindings', 'processor_box.bindings', 'step_editing.bindings', 'monitor.bindings' ],
                rule = a_rule
                )
            obj.install_path = bld.env['CONFDIR']
    To my untrained eye, it looks like the above defers to perl somehow in order to process some external files (ardour.keys.in / mixer.bindings etc). Given that I'm already running a small perl script, is there any way the above could get converted to perl (so that I could just add it to my existing perl script)?

I'm not sure what ${SRC[0].abspath() means in the above code - or $(TGT). Some aspect of waf maybe?
    Last edited by John E; January 28th, 2017 at 01:02 PM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: python / perl / waf

I figured it out.!

Taking ardour.keys.in as an example... I just need to add the following line (as a pre-build step, in my MSVC project):-

Code:
    perl ../tools/fmt-bindings --platform="windows" --winkey="Win" --accelmap  path/to/ardour.keys.in > path/to/required/output.file
    (and then the same for each of the other input files).
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering