CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Problem when using 'Reply with quote'

I don't know if anyone else is seeing this but for the past couple of days I've had a problem if I try to reply to someone's post by using Reply with quote

What happens is that the reply window only contains the first 100 (or so) characters from the other person's post. To get their full post I need to press Reply with quote a second time.

Anyone else seeing this? I've seen it with both IE and Safari.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Problem when using 'Reply with quote'

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    I don't know if anyone else is seeing this but for the past couple of days I've had a problem if I try to reply to someone's post by using Reply with quote

What happens is that the reply window only contains the first 100 (or so) characters from the other person's post. To get their full post I need to press Reply with quote a second time.

Anyone else seeing this? I've seen it with both IE and Safari.
    Seems to working OK now with Firefox.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Re: Problem when using 'Re[ly with quote'

I've never seen or heard of this. What is the URL to the post you wanted to quote?

I went to the thread you recently started and was able to Reply with Quotes:

http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...t=#post2208023

I had to scroll up to see the whole thing. (i didn't actually follow through and post the reply)

Thanks guys. For me it happens with any post that's more than a hundred or so characters. I see the same problem in IE (Win 7 and Win 8.1) as well as Safari (MacOS 10.6).

What happens is that my first press of Reply with quote opens in the Quick Reply window (which shows a truncated version of the text). If I then press Reply with quote again, it takes me into the more advanced page, which then contains the full relevant text.

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Thanks guys. For me it happens with any post that's more than a hundred or so characters. I see the same problem in IE (Win 7 and Win 8.1) as well as Safari (MacOS 10.6).

What happens is that my first press of Reply with quote opens in the Quick Reply window (which shows a truncated version of the text). If I then press Reply with quote again, it takes me into the more advanced page, which then contains the full relevant text.
    The window shown with the first press of Rely With Quote is the Quick Reply window. This does indeed only display the first part of a long text, but this window should have a vertical scroll bar on the right of the text window so that the text in this window should be able to be scrolled to see all of it. The scroll bar certainly appears for me.

There should also be a triangle of straight 45 degree lines under the bottom right of the text window which can be used with the mouse to re-size the area of the text window to show more text if dragged down.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Strange... I do see the scroll bar but it's grayed out. Those 45 degree lines do allow me to resize the window - but resizing it doesn't get me any more text. And if I click on Go Advanced, that takes me to the more advanced window - but still with only 100 characters or so.

I've tried this on 3 different computers and I see the same problem each time. I wonder if there's some weird kind of regional issue (I'm based in the UK). It's only been doing this for a couple of days...

I wonder if there's some weird kind of regional issue (I'm based in the UK).
    So am I.

Update. It works OK for me in FireFox, but not in IE on the same computer (Windows 7). With IE I get the same issue as you're reported.

When things start behaving odd on a site, and when a lot of other people aren't saying they see the same issue, then the first step is to clear your cookies for the site (kind of like rebooting for a software issue). If that doesn't help, then the next thing to check is your browser plug-ins and extensions. You might try disabling all of them and see if the issue goes away. Is there one you might have added around the time the issues started?

If neither of those fix the issue, then we'd need to look deeper.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Update. It works OK for me in FireFox, but not in IE on the same computer (Windows 7). With IE I get the same issue as you're reported.
    Weird... maybe someone outside the UK can try with IE and let us know ?

A couple of other new problems (during the past few days...)

1) When I add a new post, it takes me back to the main thread (as usual) but I DON'T see my newly-added post (I need to do a refresh to see it).

2) If I attempt to edit one of my posts, I don't see any option to submit (i.e. save) the edited version.

Have you cleared cookies?
    Have you turned off any ad blockers?

Not yet - I don't use ad blockers as far as I'm aware and the fact that 2kaud can reproduce the problem suggests that it's not at my end.

Also... remember that I'm seeing this on 3 different machines with both Windows and MacOS.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    I've never seen or heard of this. What is the URL to the post you wanted to quote?

I went to the thread you recently started and was able to Reply with Quotes:

http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...t=#post2208023

I had to scroll up to see the whole thing. (i didn't actually follow through and post the reply)

I'm using IE11 and Win10... Scroll Bar shows up.

The problem is still present for me with IE11 and Windows 7. Only about the first 100 chars or so is displayed in the edit window with the scroll bars disabled. Works OK in Firefox.

Same here. I'm also running IE11 (both on Win7 and Win8.1). I see the same problem with both OS's.

2kaud and I are both UK based. I wonder if it's some weird regional thing

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast