CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Problem when using 'Reply with quote'

Thanks Victor, I'll try that a bit later. FWIW here's what I see if I try to reply to Steve's post (#21):-

Quote Originally Posted by Steve R Jones View Post
    Go To SETTINGS
    I found the settings for Message Editor Interface and tried all 3 options (Standard, Basic and Enhanced) but none of them fixes the problem.
    Last edited by John E; December 11th, 2016 at 03:08 PM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    I've just tested it (compatibility mode for this site for IE 11 and Windows 7): the "Quick Reply" window stays empty and grayed out...
    Yep, same here.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Yep, same here.
    Yes, me too. In fact, if I add this site for Compatibility Mode, what I end up with is exactly what I was seeing when I tried IE6 !!!

I've asked a few internal techie people to take a look and see if they have suggestions.

Any update on this as the problem is still present with IE?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

It's a head scratcher. SuperSparks (admin) lives in England and doesn't have the issue.

Over the holiday period I'm tried this on a couple dozen different computers - mix of Windows 7 and Windows 10. All have no problem with Firefox, all have the same problem with IE 11.

I don't think it's anything to do with location as per Victor's post #17 which shows the problem in Switzerland.
    Last edited by 2kaud; December 29th, 2016 at 01:02 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    where the post being quoted contains a hyphen (i.e. minus sign) [...] the shortened text always seems to end, just before the minus sign. I can't help feeling that must be significant somehow...
    I can't believe this is taking so long to fix. The above is 100% reproducible on all my systems (at least, all the ones that use IE 11).

The tech resources we have are currently working on migrating the forum to a newer version of vBulletin. This is a pretty big change because the infrastructure is updated to be responsive. As such, the thought is that it is better to focus on getting to the new version and then see if the issue still exists than to slow down (the already slow) work being done for an upgrade.

How's the migration / update coming along? If it's already completed now, it hasn't fixed the problem

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    How's the migration / update coming along? If it's already completed now, it hasn't fixed the problem
    The migration was very close, but then put on hold due to reported issues we found (and were pointed out to us) from other sites that did the upgrade. A number of other sites said they updated to vBulletin 5, but then rolled a back to 4.x due to the issues. Rather than trading existing issues for new ones, we determined it best to wait and see if vBulletin can either fix issues with the newest version or patch the 4.x versions that are running.

We have an upgrade happening this week to our eWeek site. Once it is rolled out completely, then our dev team should have a bit more time as well to dig into some of the issues including the forum software.

Not exactly where I wanted to be right now. In the meantime continue reporting issues. I know we are getting a lot more of the "something went wrong" errors on some of the other forums than I've been seeing here. I assume that is because people aren't reporting them as much.
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Jones View Post
    We have an upgrade happening this week to our eWeek site. Once it is rolled out completely, then our dev team should have a bit more time as well to dig into some of the issues including the forum software.
    Still not resolved. "Reply with Quote" is totally useless now, if the quoted text happens to contain a hyphen...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123