CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Just started formal training for Java. Will my SQL development experience help at all

As the title states, I've just started formal training on Java through my current degree path. I have about 4 years of SQL (DB2) development experience and would consider myself below advanced but above proficient in my ability. For those of you who have had similar experiences, how much (if at all) did your prior experience help with learning Java? I realize that learning the language is a challenge in itself, but having an understanding of how to structure code and the thought process/logic that goes into the strategy is another beast as well. I like to think I have a leg up due to my past experience with SQL, but don't want to create a false sense of security.

Also, any websites or training aids that anyone can suggest to get me off on the right path with Java would be greatly appreciated.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Just started formal training for Java. Will my SQL development experience help at

It may not initially help, and in fact be a hindrance since thinking in sets would be a different mindset that thinking in OOP of Java.

However, even if it is a hindrance, it won't be much of one and you'll get over that quickly. Besides this, you need to get used to the fact that Java is a case specific language whereas T-SQL is not.

So writing clean code that follows some sort of naming and casing convention will really help you in Java (and it doesn't hurt in T-SQL).

The cool thing is that after you pick up Java (and learn how to interact with sql in java), then you have two very useful skills in the tool belt.

After that, learning another language or technology will become even easier.

Re: Just started formal training for Java. Will my SQL development experience help at

Hii Robblob..my name is Sharon, firstly I want to suggest you about java. if you are able to do this then you may apply that depends on your mindset, that how to think about the generating the code.because of java is based on the basic language like as C and C++. so make a free and clean up mindset about this program. and the secound part is you will have to updated about the Java launage.after well knowledgeble regarding this then you pick up the sql. after doing all these you make a generated the code as easily.