CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Classes and Constructors

Looking at getting some basic help on proper construction of this project.. Here is the assignment:

Code:
    Student.h
    – In this file, you declare a class named Student.
    – This class contains 4 private attributes, name, idNumber, department, and year.
    – name is a struct that contains two strings: firstName and lastName.
    – idNumber is an integer and department is a string.
    – year is an enum that contains four possible values: FRESHMAN, SOPHOMORE, JUNIOR, SENIOR.
    – Note that struct and enum declarations should be placed before the class declaration.
    – Define public getter functions and setter functions for all 4 attributes, that is, 4 getters and 4 setters.
    • Student.cpp
    – In this file, you provide definitions for 3 constructors of Student.
    – The first constructor takes 4 parameters, one for each attribute, then initializes the attributes accordingly.
    – The second constructor takes 2 parameters, one for name and one for idNumber, then initializes those
    attributes accordingly. The remaining 2 attributes are initialized as “” (empty string) and FRESHMAN,
    respectively.
    – The third constructor is a default constructor that takes no parameters. Here, the 4 attributes are initialized
    as “” (firstName), “” (lastName), 0 (idNumber), “” (department) and FRESHMAN (year), respectively.
    • hw3.cpp
    – In this file, you define main function.
    – In the main function, first create at least 3 Student objects.
    – The first object must be created using the first constructor (4 parameters).
    – The second object must be created using the second constructor (2 parameters).
    – Since the second constructor does not provide proper information for department and year, set those
    values by calling their associated setter functions.
    – The third object must be created using the default constructor.
    – Since the default constructor does not provide proper information for any attributes, set all 4 values by
    calling their associated 4 setter functions.
    – After creating all the objects, call a function named displayStudent for each student to print all the
    information (all 4 attributes) about the student. Note that this function must be called at least 3 times to
    print all objects. The displayStudent function must have the following prototype:
    void displayStudent(Student);
    – When displaying year, make sure the freshman year starts at 1, not 0.
    Example run:
    Name: Roger Federer
    ID Number: 12345
    Department: Art
    Year: 4
    Name: Rafael Nadal
    ID Number: 56789
    Department: Computer Science
    Year: 3
    Name: Novak Djokovic
    ID Number: 13579
    Department: Physics
    Year: 1
    Here is what I have so far, and I can't seem to understand the rest.

Here is my Student.h file:

Code:
    #ifndef STUDENT_H_EXISTS
    #define STUDENT_H_EXISTS

#include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    #include <cstdlib>

using namespace std;

struct name {
      string firstName, lastName;
    };

class Student {
    private:
      struct name;
      int idNumber;
      string department;
      int year;
    public:
      Student();
      int getidNumber();
      string getName();
      string getdepartment();

enum getyear {
          FRESHMAN = 1,
          SOPHMORE = 2,
          JUNIOR = 3,
          SENIOR = 4
      };

void setName() const;
      void setidNumber() const;
      void setdepartment() const;
      void setyear() const;
    };

#endif
    Let me know if I'm on the right track or give me any help/tips I can use, this is a beginner C++ class so nothing fancy.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Classes and Constructors

year is an enum and not an int. As per the notes, the enum definition needs to go before the class definition.

You don't usually put using namespace in a header file as this isn't considered good practice (the reason will come later when you cover namespaces in more detail).

The getters should be declared a const - not the setters! setters change the class member variables so can't be const whereas the getters don't change anything and so can (should be) const.

I can't seem to understand the rest
    For student.cpp, what are not understanding - the assignment is fairly clear as to what is needed?

Also for hw3.cpp, the assignment details what is required, so what problems are you having?
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by Semirxbih View Post
    Let me know if I'm on the right track or give me any help/tips I can use,
    A common newbie mistake is to write lots and lots of code without testing anything.

Instead first write the smallest possible version of the exercise that does at least something and make sure it runs correctly. Then add code in small steps and after each addition you test and make sure it works. In no time you will have a running version of the whole exercise ready to hand in.
    Last edited by wolle; July 6th, 2017 at 03:36 PM.

This is what I have so far, I still need some help.

Student.h file:
    Code:
    #ifndef STUDENT_H
    #define STUDENT_H

#include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    #include <cstdlib>

struct Name {
      std::string firstName;
      std::string lastName;
    };

enum Year {
        FRESHMAN = 1,
        SOPHMORE,
        JUNIOR,
        SENIOR,
    };

class Student
    {
    private:
            Name name;
            int idNumber;
            std::string department;
            Year year;
    public:
            Student(const std::string& student, int id_number, const std::string& department, Years);
            Student(const std::string& student, int id_number);
            Student();

int getidNumber();
            std::string getName();
            std::string getdepartment();
            Year getYear();

void setName(const Name& student_name);
            void setidNumber(int id_number);
            void setdepartment(const std::string student_department);
            void setyear(Year students_current_year);
    };

#endif
    Here is the error that Student.cpp is giving me:
    Code:
    Student.cpp:8:1: error: 'Student' does not name a type
     Student::Student(const std::string& student, int id_number, const std::string& department, Year year)
     ^~~~~~~
    Student.cpp:16:1: error: 'Student' does not name a type
     Student::Student(const std::string& student, int id_number)
     ^~~~~~~
    Student.cpp file:
    Code:
    #ifndef STUDENT_H
    #define STUDENT_H

#include <string>
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include "Student.h"

Student::Student(const std::string& student, int id_number, const std::string& department, Year year)
    {
      Name name = setName();
      idNumber = setidnumber();
      department = setdepartment();
      Year year = setyear();
    };

{
      Name name = std::student;
      idNumber = std::id_number;
    };

#endif
    hw3.cpp file:
    Code:
    #ifndef STUDENT_H
    #define STUDENT_H

#include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include "Student.h"
    #include "Student.cpp"

using namespace std;

int main()
    {
      Student::student()

return 0;
    }

#endif
    Let me know where I'm making mistakes/lead/help me towards the right direction. Thanks so much!

So I've removed the #include guards from the cpp files but here is the list of compiler errors now:

Code:
    Student.cpp: In constructor 'Student::Student(const string&, int, const string&, Year)':
    Student.cpp:7:15: error: expected primary-expression before 'const'
       Name name = const setName;
                   ^~~~~
    Student.cpp:8:26: error: 'setidnumber' was not declared in this scope
                              ^
    Student.cpp:9:30: error: no matching function for call to 'Student::setdepartment()'
                                  ^
    In file included from Student.cpp:3:0:
    Student.h:39:14: note: candidate: void Student::setdepartment(std::__cxx11::string)
             void setdepartment(const std::string student_department);
                  ^~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Student.h:39:14: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 0 provided
    Student.cpp:10:8: error: declaration of 'Year year' shadows a parameter
       Year year = setyear();
            ^~~~
    Student.cpp:10:23: error: no matching function for call to 'Student::setyear()'
       Year year = setyear();
                           ^
    In file included from Student.cpp:3:0:
    Student.h:40:14: note: candidate: void Student::setyear(Year)
             void setyear(Year students_current_year);
                  ^~~~~~~
    Student.h:40:14: note:   candidate expects 1 argument, 0 provided
    Student.cpp: In constructor 'Student::Student(const string&, int)':
    Student.cpp:15:15: error: conversion from 'const string {aka const std::__cxx11::basic_string<char>}' to non-scalar type 'Name' requested
       Name name = student;
                   ^~~~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by wolle View Post
    A common newbie mistake is to write lots and lots of code without testing anything.

Instead first write the smallest possible version of the exercise that does at least something and make sure it runs correctly. Then add code in small steps and after each addition you test and make sure it works. In no time you will have a running version of the whole exercise ready to hand in.
    I agree re testing and step-wise enhancement. However, first you design the program, then code against the design. IMO the worst thing that programmers can do (especially newbies) is to start coding without first producing a co-coherent design. This includes such things as output requirements, input requirements, algorithms, data structures, class design etc etc.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Code:
    That is a function declaration in main()??

The class getters should be const.

Code:
     Student::student()
    This is trying to define some sort of class constructor?? but is invalid. I think you're trying to define a variable student of type Student? Consider

Code:
    Student student;
    Code:
    {
      Name name = std::student;
      idNumber = std::id_number;
    };
    student and id_number are not members of the std namespace. They are member variables of the class. Consider

Code:
    Student::Student(const std::string& stud, int id_number) : student(stud), idNumber(id_number) {}
    Code:
    {
      Name name = setName();
      Year year = setyear();
    };
    This is not how you initialise member variables in a constructor. This is trying to define and initialise variables in the function which are only valid until the end of the function. Also the setters take an argument and return void so can't be used as part of an assignment. Consider
    Code:
    Student::Student(const std::string& student, int id_number, const std::string& department, Year year) : student(student), idNumber(id_number), department(department), year(year) {}
    Note that no terminating ; is needed as this is a function, not a struct/class definition.

Also note that it isn't considered good practice to have a function parameter with the same name as a member variable.
    Last edited by 2kaud; July 7th, 2017 at 04:03 AM.

I've tried your way, and I'm still getting errors

Here is the updated code:

Code:
    #ifndef STUDENT_H
    #define STUDENT_H

#include <iostream>
    #include <string>
    #include <cstdlib>

struct Name {
    };

enum Year {
        FRESHMAN = 1,
        SOPHMORE,
        JUNIOR,
        SENIOR,
    };

class Student
    {
    private:
            Name name;
            int idNumber;
            Year year;
    public:
            void setName(Name student_name);
            std::string getName() const;

void setidNumber(int id_number);
            int getidNumber() const;

void setdepartment(std::string student_department);
            std::string getdepartment() const;

void setYear(Year students_current_year);
            Year getYear() const;
    };

#endif
    Student.cpp
    Code:
    #include <string>
    #include <cstdlib>
    #include "Student.h"

using namespace std;

Student::Student(Student& Name student_name, int id_number, std::string student_department, Year students_current_year)
    {
      name = student_name;
      idNumber = id_number;
      department = student_department;
      year = students_current_year;
    }
    // Student::Student();

// Student::Student();

Code:
    Student::Student(Student& Name student_name, int id_number, std::string student_department, Year students_current_year)
    You haven't specified a class constructor in the class definition. It was included in post #4 but not in post #8.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    I agree re testing and step-wise enhancement. However, first you design the program, then code against the design. IMO the worst thing that programmers can do (especially newbies) is to start coding without first producing a co-coherent design. This includes such things as output requirements, input requirements, algorithms, data structures, class design etc etc.
    Certainly, but I thought the room for design in this case was very limited since the topic is an exercise specified in great detail.

The program design method I have in mind is called Stepwise Refinement which was introduced by N. Wirth, the inventor of Pascal. It may not suit everyone but at least it's a method and that's better than cluelessly muddle along. As important as it is to learn the intricacies of specific languages is it to learn how to develop programs. It seems forgotten in education today. At least I get that impression.

The OP has made a false start. To recover s/he should reduce program complexity by removing code until there is a working solution and then add code in small working steps until the desired result is at hand.
    Last edited by wolle; July 7th, 2017 at 10:58 AM.

Still need some help with this.

You asked for advice and you got it but you are not following it.

Reduce the code until it works. Start with just this,
    Code:
    class Student {
    public:
        Student() { // default constructor
            std::cout << "The student default constructor was called" << std::endl;
        }
    };
    I don't know what your test system looks like but now when you do any of these,

Code:
    Student student1; // instantiates a Student object calling its default constructor
    Student student2 = Student(); // the same
    auto student3 = Student(); // the same (and recommended by some top gurus since C++ 11)
    the message in Student's default constructor should be printed. When it does, add something small to Student and make sure it works as expected before continuing with the next small step, etcetera. This is how real programmers work. The difference between a newbie and a pro is just how big a small step is .

I note you're supposed to split the definition of Student into a .h and a .cpp file. I don't know why this silly convention is upheld in newbie courses today but I guess you better do as you're told. But know that this is not necessary, even unnecessary with today's extremely capable compilers.
    Last edited by wolle; July 8th, 2017 at 02:02 AM.

Ok. Here's your starter for 10. This will create and display the class instances for the required constructors.

Code:
    #include <iostream>
    #include <string>

struct Name {
    };

enum Year {
    	FRESHMAN = 1,
    	SOPHMORE,
    	JUNIOR,
    	SENIOR,
    };

class Student
    {
    public:
    	Student(const Name& student, int id_number, const std::string& depart, Year yr) :
    		name(student), idNumber(id_number), department(depart), year(yr) {}

Student(const Name& student, int id_number) : name(student), idNumber(id_number) {}

Student() {}

void displayStudent()
    	{
    		std::cout << "Name: " << name.firstName << " " << name.lastName << std::endl;
    		std::cout << "id: " << idNumber << std::endl;
    		std::cout << "department: " << department << std::endl;
    		std::cout << "Year: " << (int)year << std::endl << std::endl;
    	}

private:
    	Name name;
    	int idNumber = 0;
    	Year year = FRESHMAN;
    };

int main()
    {
    	Student s1 { { "f1", "l1" }, 1, "d1", SENIOR };
    	Student s2 { {"f2", "l2"}, 2, "d2", JUNIOR };
    	Student s3;

s1.displayStudent();
    	s2.displayStudent();
    	s3.displayStudent();
    }
    I'll leave it as an exercise if you want it split into a .h and .cpp files.

You now need to add the getters and setters and use them as appropriate.
    Last edited by 2kaud; July 8th, 2017 at 04:12 AM.

I note you're supposed to split the definition of Student into a .h and a .cpp file. I don't know why this silly convention is upheld in newbie courses today but I guess you better do as you're told. But know that this is not necessary, even unnecessary with today's extremely capable compilers.
    Whilst knowledge of separate compilation units and include-guards is important, IMO it's not something that should be introduced early into a newbie c++ course. There's plenty of other good c++ stuff that I'd teach ahead of this.

How are you learning c++? What book(s), if any, are you using?

Have at look at this thread http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...-books-about-C and in particular post #10.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast