CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Post Installing PoDoFo library error - lfontconfig not found

Hello,

Wasn't sure what forum was the most appropriate, hope this is right...

Been trying all evening to install PoDoFo library - which allows you various PDF tools in C++. I've been going through their install instructions, consistently installing other required libraries for it as I go along and find errors (still fairly new to programming so I don't have much of it) but have hit a wall. Currently this is how far I get:

In terminal, building the files works fine after entering:
    Code:
    cmake -G "Unix Makefiles"
    It chugs along with no errors. Then after entering make, it begins displying a % complete with infomation of what file has just been built. As it is doing this however, it also comes up with warnings, for example
    Code:
    /libraries/podofo-0.9.5/src/base/PdfEncrypt.cpp:110:13: warning: 'EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init' is deprecated: first deprecated in OS X 10.7 [-Wdeprecated-declarations]
                EVP_CIPHER_CTX_init(&aes);
    There's a fair few of these like this. But am I correct in thinking these aren't necessarily a problem?

The big problem however is when I get to 49% and this happens:
    Code:
    [ 49%] Linking CXX executable ContentParser
    ld: library not found for -lfontconfig
    clang: error: linker command failed with exit code 1 (use -v to see invocation)
    make[2]: *** [test/ContentParser/ContentParser] Error 1
    make[1]: *** [test/ContentParser/CMakeFiles/ContentParser.dir/all] Error 2
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    I have been googling all over for lfontconfig, and have even installed something I found called "Fontconfig" v. 2.12.4. However, still no luck...

Anyone able to help? Thanks in advance.

PS. still new to coding forums, so please do say if I am doing anything wrong.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Installing PoDoFo library error - lfontconfig not found

I can't give you specific help as you're using clang on OS X and I only use VS under Windows. However, you are right in your assessment that the problem is with Fontconfig. This needs to be installed (and compiled if the installation doesn't do this) so that the library import file is generated (fontconfig.lib on a windows pc). The compiler needs to know the location of this import file so that it can find it. You may already have this file somewhere on your computer, in which case the compiler needs to be told where (sorry don't know how on your system) or the file may not exist at all (in which case the Fontconfig source files need to be compiled).

Sorry I can't be of more help but as I said I only use Windows VS.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)