CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Input wanted: 3rd Party Products

Quote Originally Posted by S_M_A View Post
    There's no Linux version of VS, you just install the cross platform tools. After the installation you will have both a VS compiler and gcc (and also clang if you select that). I haven't tried using a compiler installation outside VS yet but I think that will work just as well.
    Hi S_M_A - can you offer any help here..?

I followed these instructions for installing WSL2 and Debian Linux - and I then ran the stated bash command - sudo apt install g++ gdb make rsync zip (and everything seemed to install)

But it hasn't made any difference when I launch VS2019. I'm following the section called Visual Studio MSBuild-based projects and WSL but after creating a new Console App it doesn't show any WSL stuff when I select Platform Toolset (I just see the regular Windows MSVC and Clang compilers that were already installed).

The only option for creating a Linux Console App here is to use .NET

Also - if I select Tools->Get Tools and Features it's not showing me gcc or g++ or WSL etc - only those regular compilers for Windows development.

Any idea what I might've done wrong...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Hi S_M_A - can you offer any help here..?

I followed these instructions for installing WSL2 and Debian Linux
    Just a long shot S_M_A - but did you also happen to choose Debian or one of the others?

I'm starting to think Debian's created its file names and folder names using a non-Windows character set (most likely, UTF8)

[Edit...] or another possibility... I'm only using VS2019 Community Edition here. Maybe this WSL stuff requires one of the paid-for versions
    Last edited by John E; August 15th, 2020 at 03:16 AM.

Does anyone know if there's an official forum somewhere for Visual Studio? I found the official Microsoft Community forum and it even looks like VS was once supported there - but all the VS threads are closed now. So I'm guessing it's either moved somewhere else - or maybe Microsoft simply doesn't support it any more...

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Many thanks wolle - some great information there. Do you happen to know if VS Code supports C++? (I'm only asking because Visual Studio for Android and iOS apparently doesn't...)

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234