CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

edit box problem

how do i read the contents of the edit box when the thread is getting executed.i am not able to use the member variable of the edit box which i have created,its popping an error. plz help

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: edit box problem

1. Why do you think you need to "read the contents of the edit box when the thread is getting executed"? How often do you need to do it?

2. I already gave you a link to a very useful essay about using worker threads here. Have you read it (the essay)?
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    1. Why do you think you need to "read the contents of the edit box when the thread is getting executed"? How often do you need to do it?

2. I already gave you a link to a very useful essay about using worker threads here. Have you read it (the essay)?

i need to read the edit box contents for every button press on the gui..hw do i read the contents without using the edit box member variable.plz help

Windows is a message-oriented operating system, so you don't need a separate thread for doing that. Whenever a button is pressed, a message will be sent that you can handle. Preferably with message maps if you're using MFC.

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/6d1asasd.aspx

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Ramdhyani View Post
    i need to read the edit box contents for every button press on the gui..hw do i read the contents without using the edit box member variable.plz help
    Indeed you can read the content using the edit box member variable. But you have to do it in your main GUI, not from within a worker one!
    Victor Nijegorodov

As said in one of your other threads, do not access the UI from worker threads, only from the main thread.
    Marc Gregoire - NuonSoft (http://www.nuonsoft.com)
    My Blog
    Wallpaper Cycler 3.5.0.97

Author of Professional C++, 4th Edition by Wiley/Wrox (includes C++17 features)
    ISBN: 978-1-119-42130-6
    [ http://www.facebook.com/professionalcpp ]