CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Windows 10 ISO file (maybe an older version)

I've been forlornly trying to install Windows 10 on an Apple Mac Pro (using Boot Camp). The Mac Pro is currently running OS-X Mojave. To give you some background... Mojave (for whatever reason) won't install anything earlier than Windows 10 - but it can't install Windows 10 either (because the latest Win10 ISO file is larger than 4GB). So after years of sniping at Windows for having a 4GB file limit, it seems that Boot Camp in fact has a 4GB limit also!!

Does anyone know if there's a Win10 ISO file anywhere that's smaller than 4GB?? Even if it's an earlier version, I'm assuming I could install it and then upgrade Win10 later to the current version.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Windows 10 ISO file (maybe an older version)

1) Can you install a Win 8.1 from a possibly smaller ISO and then upgrade to Win 10?
    2) Can you burn the Win 10 ISO to a high density DVD and the use an external (USB) DVD drive to install from?
    3) Is there a newer version of boot camp that supports media larger than 4GB?
    Last edited by Arjay; January 27th, 2019 at 10:35 AM.

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    1) Can you install a Win 8.1 from a possibly smaller ISO and then upgrade to Win 10?
    No - OS-X Mojave won't install anything earlier than Windows 10

2) Can you burn the Win 10 ISO to a high density DVD and the use an external (USB) DVD drive to install from?
    I guess I could try that but apparently it's the actual ISO size which causes the problem (> 4GB)

3) Is there a newer version of boot camp that supports media larger than 4GB?
    Not AFAIK - but I came across this app which apparently fixes the problem by splitting the installer into smaller ISO files. The bad news is that it doesn't seem to work I've just emailed the app's creators to let them know (hopefully they'll be able to fix it...)
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

For 2), when you burn the dvd and use a usb dvd drive, it gets treated as a drive, not a single large iso file, so this may work (provided the system can boot from an external usb drive).