CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Problems with SSLstream.Read

I'm connecting to an EPP server via TCPclient and it's protected by SSL certificate authentication. The company that provides the EPP server said I needed to get a certificate (not self-signed), upload the CRT file into my user account, and then combine the CRT and KEY files into one (I choose PFX) that will I need to pass with each message in order to invoke an authorization / certificate combination. I've upload the CRT and created the PFX files fine.

I've tested this several ways (SSLstream, NetworkStream, StreamWriter/StreamReader) and none of them have been able to produce me with a readable response. At the same time, neither method produces any exceptions. From my testing it appears that I connect to the server okay, convert my string and write okay, but then either get a blank response or a jibberish response that looks like it might be encrypted? Below are two ways I've tried to do this (SSLstream & NetworkStream). You can see my code, plus a screenshot of the response.

SSLstream
    Code:
            'Create a collection and add the certificate
            Dim collection = New X509Certificate2Collection()
            collection.Import("C:\\Users\\Drew\\Desktop\\testcert\\FIcert.pfx", "password", X509KeyStorageFlags.DefaultKeySet)
            Dim store = New X509Store(StoreName.My)
            store.Open(OpenFlags.ReadWrite)

Try
                For Each certificate As X509Certificate2 In collection
                    store.Add(certificate)
                Next
            Finally
                store.Close()
            End Try

'Create the Hello EPP request and put it into a String
            Dim hello As XElement = <epp xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0">
                                        <hello/>
                                    </epp>

'Create client, convert XML element to string and pass it with certificate collection
            Try
                Dim client As New TcpClient(DRShost, 700)
                Dim data As [Byte]() = System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetBytes(hello.ToString)
                Dim callback As New RemoteCertificateValidationCallback(AddressOf CertificateValidationCallback)
                Dim sslStream As New Security.SslStream(client.GetStream(), False, callback)
                sslStream.AuthenticateAsClient(DRShost, collection, SslProtocols.[Default], False)

If sslStream.IsAuthenticated Then
                    'All of these return TRUE except the last one
                    MsgBox("IsAuthenticated: " & sslStream.IsAuthenticated)
                    MsgBox("IsMutuallyAuthenticated: " & sslStream.IsMutuallyAuthenticated)
                    MsgBox("IsEncrypted: " & sslStream.IsEncrypted)
                    MsgBox("IsSigned: " & sslStream.IsSigned)
                    MsgBox("IsServer: " & sslStream.IsServer)
                End If
                sslStream.Write(data, 0, data.Length)
                MsgBox("Sent: " & hello.ToString)
                data = New [Byte](256) {}
                Dim bytes As Integer = sslStream.Read(data, 0, data.Length)
                Dim responseData As String = System.Text.Encoding.ASCII.GetString(data, 0, bytes)
                MsgBox("Received: " & responseData)
            Catch ex As AuthenticationException
                MsgBox(ex.Message)
            Catch ex As SocketException
                MsgBox(ex.Message)
            Catch ex As IOException
                MsgBox(ex.Message)
            Finally
                If sslStream IsNot Nothing Then
                    sslStream.Close()
                End If
            End Try
    Response:

NetworkStream
    Code:
            'Create a collection and add the certificate
            Dim collection = New X509Certificate2Collection()
            collection.Import("C:\\Users\\Drew\\Desktop\\testcert\\FIcert.pfx", "password", X509KeyStorageFlags.DefaultKeySet)
            Dim store = New X509Store(StoreName.My)
            store.Open(OpenFlags.ReadWrite)

Try
                For Each certificate As X509Certificate2 In collection
                    store.Add(certificate)
                Next
            Finally
                store.Close()
            End Try

'Create the Hello EPP request and put it into a String
            Dim hello As XElement = <epp xmlns="urn:ietf:params:xml:ns:epp-1.0">
                                        <hello/>
                                    </epp>

'Create client and networkstream, convert XML and write it
            Dim client As TcpClient = New TcpClient(DRShost, 700)
            Dim tcpNetStream As NetworkStream = client.GetStream()
            Dim sslStream As New Security.SslStream(tcpNetStream, False, New RemoteCertificateValidationCallback(AddressOf CertificateValidationCallback), Nothing)
            sslStream.AuthenticateAsClient(DRShost, collection, SslProtocols.[Default], False)
            Dim encodedBytes As Byte() = ASCIIEncoding.ASCII.GetBytes(hello.ToString)

tcpNetStream.Write(encodedBytes, 0, encodedBytes.Length)

Dim bytesToReceive As Byte() = New Byte(client.ReceiveBufferSize - 1) {}
            Dim bytesRead As Integer = tcpNetStream.Read(bytesToReceive, 0, client.ReceiveBufferSize)
            MsgBox("Received : " & Encoding.ASCII.GetString(bytesToReceive, 0, bytesRead))
            client.Close()
    Response:

I thought maybe the response from the second set of code was coming back encrypted, so I changed this line:
    Code:
    Dim bytesRead As Integer = tcpNetStream.Read(bytesToReceive, 0, client.ReceiveBufferSize)
    To read from the sslStream instead. However, this just leads to once again receiving a blank response:
    Code:
    Dim bytesRead As Integer = sslStream.Read(bytesToReceive, 0, client.ReceiveBufferSize)
    Any help on this would be greatly appreciated. I've scoured the web and tried everything I could think of, but to no avail. I do notice that when I view the string I'm sending it does not contain "<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8" standalone="no"?>". However, I believe that is added automatically by XElement?
    Last edited by 2kaud; September 29th, 2018 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Fixed code tags

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Problems with SSLstream.Read

Have you contacted the company for assistance?