CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Java Swing and Spring

Hello;

Is it required to use Spring Framework with Java Swing? Or I can use Java Swing without Spring framework?
    And what is the recommended to be used with Java Swing?

Regards
    Bilal

Re: Java Swing and Spring

Swing is a GUI framework. You don't need to use it with anything (except Java of course).

But Swing is somewhat dated and the successor is called JavaFX. Or used to be. It seems like it's called OpenJFX now,

https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Main

Thanks a lot for kindly help.
    And if I need to have modules (account, stock, HR, ... etc) so is it recommended to use maven or no need and JavaFX will be enough?
    Also: there will be any benefit of using JavaFX with Spring or spring will not be needed if my application is not web based?
    Regards
    Bilal

If your application needs a GUI (which most applications do) then I suggest you start with JavaFX. It's the Oracle official replacement for Swing.

Then as you gain more experience as developer you will get a clearer picture of whether you will benefit from using Spring or Maven and why. It's not like these frameworks are necessary to successfully develop an application, and it's not like you're missing out on something forever if you don't use them from the start. You can always introduce them later. But also remember that any framework you add to a project has the downside that you become dependent on it. So it's a good strategy to be quite conservative and carefully consider the pros and cons before starting to use one. JavaFX is different. If your application requires a GUI you will need JavaFX right from the start.
    Last edited by wolle; September 30th, 2018 at 12:54 AM.