Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
Can you explain (again) what happens to the file after the last change is detected and why it is important to work with a locked file?
It's conjecture that the file is copied, but the open, locked file is synced to another location immediately after a change is saved. Whether it was by VSS or not, I can't say. I don't have access to the program code of the program. I didn't notice any difference between the open file and the saved, sync file, if there was any integrity issue. I don't know if an integrity issue would evolve after multiple syncs, either.

I suppose it would work to sync a file after it has been released, it's just interesting that someone has done the sync work on the fly as changes are made. Whether that's advisable or not, I don't know. I just noticed that's it's being done. But wouldn't system notifications have to be ignored or otherwise dealt with as they pop up during the save process on locked files? That I don't know anything about. I also don't know anything about asynchronous processes, which is something else I'll have to deal with later, I think.