CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Obfuscation

Obfuscation

Hello!
    Do you use obfuscation?
    If so, in what cases.
    I did a little research and realized that programmers do not use obfuscation all the time. When is it appropriate to use code obfuscation?

Re: Obfuscation

Nobody uses obfuscation?

Quote Originally Posted by Azazell View Post
    When is it appropriate to use code obfuscation?
    Quite seldom because,

- most code is not worth stealing anyway, and

- most code is in no need of further obfuscation.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

C/C++ code is fairly difficult to reverse engineer. Sure, folks that are proficient in assembly can do it with enough time and patience.

JIT languages like C# and Java are more readily reverse engineered through reflector-like tools. However, in many cases, the applications where these languages are used are hosted in the cloud so the binaries aren't available to reverse engineer.

For traditional desktop apps written in C# or Java, there are obuscators readily available.

Thank you for your responses! We have a whole discussion about obfuscators at work)))
    I have little programming experience, so my best obfuscator is the macaroni code.
    But I see a huge amount of obfuscators and I can not understand when they are used.

so my best obfuscator is the macaroni code.
    You mean "spagetti" code right? That's what I had in mind with my somewhat ironic previous reply. Most code is sufficient incomprehensible right from the start so no further obfuscation is necessary.

But seriously, even though I think the individual programmer often exaggerates the interest of others in stealing their code there's a legitimate need for obfuscation at the company level. Here's a link I dug out,

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/content/file...bfuscation.pdf
    Last edited by wolle; December 12th, 2018 at 06:45 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by wolle View Post
    You mean "spagetti" code right? That's what I had in mind with my somewhat ironic previous reply. Most code is sufficient incomprehensible right from the start so no further obfuscation is necessary.

But seriously, even though I think the individual programmer often exaggerates the interest of others in stealing their code there's a legitimate need for obfuscation at the company level. Here's a link I dug out,

https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/content/file...bfuscation.pdf
    Or "pasta" code! I heard many versions (and not always about my code))))
    Thanks for the link! I will continue to investigate this question.
    Last edited by Azazell; December 13th, 2018 at 02:21 PM.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Or pasta code! I heard many versions (and not always about my code))))
    Thanks for the link! I will continue to investigate this question.
    The spaghetti noodle is long and intertwining so the phrase "spaghetti code" is used to represent poorly written code. The term 'pasta' covers a wide range of noodle including spaghetti, penne, elbow macaroni and so on. Therefore, "pasta code" isn't specific enough to convey code quality. You would have to say, "penne pasta code" to imply orderly code or "spaghetti pasta code" to refer to poor code. But since all penne and all spaghetti are pastas, including the word pasta is redundant.

So as you can see, the correct phrase for bad code is, "spaghetti code." Please pass this on to your colleagues.

Thanks for the clarification! This is useful information.

Obfuscation is most often used when establishing copyright, selling applications. Obfuscator Protect code from using cheats (in games)
    In C ++, you rarely meet programmers using obfuscator. But this is not uncommon for C # or Android.

I understood, I had a wrong idea about obfuscation

But sometimes programmers use obfuscators to protect the code. In startups, for example. People want to protect both: the code and the idea. There are entire licensing systems. Check ArmDot and similar programs in Google. You will understand why obfuscators are needed and when they are used.
    Regards

I did not think about it. I'm trying to understand how it works. This is an interesting version!