CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Opening times type of website - which language is better?

Hi all, this is the first time I'm posting here, hopefully this is the appropriate thread to post. I'm planning to create a new project with my boyfriend - he's a .Net developer, while I'm a PHP developer, and we have strong arguments on who should develop the back-end side of it, myself, or him. I.e: should the backend be .Net or PHP. The website will be a similar website to the opening hours website opening-times.co.uk, and we'll use Google Places API to get the locations and the opening hours data, and populate it in our database. I would really like to build it in PHP, and I need strong arguments from you to support this and win my boyfriend over Can you please come up with suggestions on why one language would be better than the other, for this specific application?

Many thanks in advance,
    Ellie

Re: Opening times type of website - which language is better?

Quote Originally Posted by EllieHamilton View Post
    Hi all, this is the first time I'm posting here, hopefully this is the appropriate thread to post. I'm planning to create a new project with my boyfriend - he's a .Net developer, while I'm a PHP developer, and we have strong arguments on who should develop the back-end side of it, myself, or him. I.e: should the backend be .Net or PHP. The website will be a similar website to the opening hours website opening-times.co.uk, and we'll use Google Places API to get the locations and the opening hours data, and populate it in our database. I would really like to build it in PHP, and I need strong arguments from you to support this and win my boyfriend over Can you please come up with suggestions on why one language would be better than the other, for this specific application?

Many thanks in advance,
    Ellie
    Here is an update: we've decided to start building it (good timing now with the Christmas holidays, we'll have a few days off from work), and we'll definitely build it with PHP and a MySQL database, and for the frontend, we'll use jQuery and SASS as a CSS preprocessor, with Gulp as a task runner. I'll keep you posted here once we have a beta version