CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Creating app hub/dashboard

Hi there,

I need to R&D the possibilities to develop a service that allows the host app to run client apps (all within Windows, from a HoloLens/Unity app), and have a line of communication with the client apps to control the app flow. I have scarce information on that yet, but the target apps should be (probably) regular Windows app (already installed).

Could you point me to a resource site that would explain the proper workflow for this? I've found UWP "app services", but I guess this needs the target apps to have proper "conditioning" first. I've googled the topic a lot but couldn't find anything conclusive.

Thanks in advance

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Creating app hub/dashboard

Do you want the host service to be able to control the client apps running on the remote Windows machines? If so, can you give some examples of what the client apps would be asked to do?

Btw, my first thought (and sticking with Microsoft technologies) is the host service could be in Azure.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Do you want the host service to be able to control the client apps running on the remote Windows machines? If so, can you give some examples of what the client apps would be asked to do?

Btw, my first thought (and sticking with Microsoft technologies) is the host service could be in Azure.
    Thanks for reply!

I have scarce knowledge. The host app is supposed to communicate with client apps with some custom API to make react the host app on what client app was executed. All on Windows/Hololens.

Best regards

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

A couple of ideas:
    1) Using an Azure service bus topic and subscriptions. A 'control' topic is created and each client registers with the host and a subscription is created for the client. The client subscription uses a filter so the host can direct a 'control' message to a client. The clients listen on the subscription and act on the incoming control messages. Not sure how many clients are simultaneously connecting so make sure you don't hit any subscription limits if you go with this approach.
    2) Look into using SignalR.

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    A couple of ideas:
    1) Using an Azure service bus topic and subscriptions. A 'control' topic is created and each client registers with the host and a subscription is created for the client. The client subscription uses a filter so the host can direct a 'control' message to a client. The clients listen on the subscription and act on the incoming control messages. Not sure how many clients are simultaneously connecting so make sure you don't hit any subscription limits if you go with this approach.
    2) Look into using SignalR.
    @Arjay thank you very much! I will check this leads. I might be limited in that the client apps are just ready store apps I need to handle, the apps I don't know and am just given - my intuition tells me my level of possible control here is just on a process flow level. Do you by any change know if any of those 2 technologies can have any use in that case?

Best regards