CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Career in ccna

Career in ccna

Hello Everyone,
    I am new to this forum and i dont know that its the right platform to post this thread.
    As I am studying in electronic and telecommunication and wanted to make career in hardware and networking.
    So I have doubt that CCNA is the good option or not for long term career?

Re: Career in ccna

As a first step toward an IT career you are on the right path for now and in the current climate. The CCNA will give you a good surrounding in some basics and prepare you for a long term career. Today CISCO remains the "Big Dog" in data networking and you are much more likely to get your first few jobs with a CISCO certification on your resume. So you are making the right now.

I am studying in electronic and telecommunication and wanted to make career in hardware and networking.
    he CCNA will give you a good surrounding in some basics and prepare you for a long term career

Quote Originally Posted by mahadevgite View Post
    Well, a Cisco certification is only valid for 3 years then you need to re-certify.

I've always been slightly suspicious about company certifications. Isn't it just yet another way to promote a company and its products by building customer retention/loyalty? Offering certification preparation courses is a whole industry and it is mostly from there you hear how important and beneficial certifications are. I'll be happy to change my mind if someone can point at just one independent study showing that certifications are an important factor for professional success. I mean hard statistical facts like whether certified engineers have higher salaries in general, are more likely to get promoted and more likely to survive a recession without getting laid off, etcetera.

I would be very reluctant to shell out time & money on a company certification, especially if I'm about to graduate or have recently graduated from a university with a bachelor/masters degree. It may even work against you in a job interview. If your certification isn't backed up by in-depth know-how this will be mercilessly revealed. It may spark suspicion about your overall competence and you may be more closely scrutinized than your competitors for the job.
    Last edited by wolle; October 4th, 2019 at 04:43 AM.

I feel like certifications definitely do the things that you described too, Wolle. But not just any company can have a meaningful certification programs. Meaning, a certification that matters. That's why I think there's more to it than just promotion.