CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Question

Question

c++ program
    Last edited by Kmilano; January 31st, 2019 at 11:37 AM. Reason: Added code tags

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Question

[When posting code, please use code tags so that the code is readable. Go Advanced, select the formatted code and click '#']

The main issue with this code is the mis-understanding around the type char *. This means a pointer to memory that contains values of type char. It doesn't allocate any memory for these characters. You have to do this - which isn't done in the code. Are you sure that you need to use type char * and not say type array of char (eg char name[40] or even better type std::string? As the data member is specified as type char, I would assume in this case that an array of char to be used rather than char*.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    [When posting code, please use code tags so that the code is readable. Go Advanced, select the formatted code and click '#']

The main issue with this code is the mis-understanding around the type char *. This means a pointer to memory that contains values of type char. It doesn't allocate any memory for these characters. You have to do this - which isn't done in the code. Are you sure that you need to use type char * and not say type array of char (eg char name[40] or even better type std::string? As the data member is specified as type char, I would assume in this case that an array of char to be used rather than char*.

could you please let me know how I can correct my code?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Obviously this is homework - so we don't provide all the code. have you not covered char arrays yet?

The class data members using a char array should be something like:

Code:
       char name[40];
        int mark1; 
        int mark2;
    and for main()

Code:
       char nam[40];
        int m1,m2;
    The class constructor will need to be changed so that the contents of the char arrays are copied. Have a go and post your revised code. We'll then advise further. Cheers!
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)