CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Weird networking problem

I'm not really expecting a solution here but I'm hoping someone can suggest a forum where I could maybe get help with this....

Basically I've got 2 x Windows 7 PC's here and they're networked together wirelessly (via a wireless internet router). It all works fine but one of the machines is quite old now so a week ago I decided to buy something newer.

The new machine runs Windows 10 and I've connected it (again wirelessly) and joined it to the same workgroup as the other two machines. It can access shared folders on the Win7 machines and it can also access the internet - BUT - the Win7 machines don't seem to see the new Win10 one very reliably. One Win7 machine won't see it at all and the other does eventually see it - but not until an hour or so after the machines have all been switched on.

Can anyone suggest what might be wrong here? Or maybe another forum where I could get some help with this?

[Edit...] BTW I've tried disabling Windows Firewall temporarily (on the Win7 machines) and also disabling Windows Defender (on the Win10 machine) but that didn't make any difference
    Last edited by John E; February 11th, 2019 at 08:39 AM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Weird networking problem

When you say 'don't see' - you mean the other computer doesn't show as a member of the network group?

Have you tried directly accessing the other computer via its ip address? Have you tried directly accessing the other computer by name even if it doesn't show in the network group?

Have you tried the various cmd net view options?

net view /domain
    net view /all
    net view /domain:<workgroupname>
    net view //<computername>
    net view //<ipaddress>

If the ipaddress works buts the computer name doesn't then it seems likely there is an issue with the SMB network browsing process. Each computer maintains it's own browser list. Computers broadcast information about their presence as SMB messages. Only once a computer 'knows' about another can you access it via its name. There are several things that can effect the SMB browsing process - including local computer security policies.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    When you say 'don't see' - you mean the other computer doesn't show as a member of the network group?
    Yes that's right but I've just discovered something quite interesting...

If I nominate a folder for sharing on the Win10 machine - then I map a network drive to it (on one of the Win7 machines) that particular machine finds it as soon as it boots up. But if there's no particular need to find the Win10 machine, the Win7 machines seem to take ages to discover it.

I'm just about to try the same thing on the 2nd Win7 machine.

BTW - those net view commands give sensible output if I run them from the Win10 machine. But if I run from a Win7 machine they give this:-

System error 64 has occurred
    The specified network name is no longer available

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

net view \\127.0.0.1 should work as that interrogates itself. Also net view without anything else should also work but may not give the expected result. If these give an error then you have a smb service issue. Are the services Workstation and Sever started? Are there any networking related items in the System Log?

Discovery is done by the computers issuing a broadcast notice saying 'here am i'. These broadcasts are issued at certain time points. I've forgotten exactly the sequence. Have you tried Wireshark on the computers in question to see the smb broadcasts?

This may be of interest. https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...ult-in-windows

It talks about depreciation of of smbv1 not being installed by default in Windows 10 from release 1709. You may need to have to re-install smbv1. This article also talks about network browsing issues if smbv1 isn't present.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks for the link 2kaud - in fact, that article specifically mentions the two error messages I reported above so it looks like a promising explanation. It's starting to get late here so I'll read through it a bit more thoroughly tomorrow.

wierd but same as me