CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: How to learn c++/cli?

But marketing-wise or politically, where's the advantage to Microsoft in VC++ NOT supporting the other platforms? Like I've said elsewhere, it just makes it impossible any more to recommend VC++ as a serious development tool.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    It pains me to see you starting to learn nearly 20 year old technology, i.e., System.Windows.Forms.
    Something just occurred to me this morning...

VC++ does seem intrinsically tied to other Microsoft technologies (such as MFC and Windows Forms) and obviously that wouldn't translate well to the non-Windows platforms. It occurred to me that maybe that's the reason why VC++ is getting left behind.

And yet they've managed to adapt Visual Basic so that it'll target other platforms... Doesn't Visual Basic have similar tie-ins?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

And yet they've managed to adapt Visual Basic so that it'll target other platforms... Doesn't Visual Basic have similar tie-ins?
    That's because of .net which is available for other platforms - and Visual Basic .net uses .net. They haven't adapted VB as such. C++/cli was MS attempt for c++ xplatform as it used .net.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    VB.Net is a different language than the older VB6 like varieties. About the only thing VB.Net has in common with VB6 is some of the syntax, everything else is different.

So VB.Net isn't a good example here.

From what I understand, a reason for coding in C++/CLI is for C++/CLI code to be able to interact with C/C++ code and be exposed as a .Net assembly (in order for it to be consumed by other .Net assemblies and/or COM clients).

If this is the main reason, rather than going C++/CLI, I would put my C/C++ code inside a dll and call the dll inside a C# .Net assembly using pinvoke. That way, you can have the code written in C/C++ utilized and get the benefits of coding in a .Net tailored language like C#.

Quite frankly working in C# is so much easier - UI, database interaction, xml/json manipulation, working with classes, syntactical suger, the list goes on and on.

I spent many years coding in C++, and in my personal view, I am more productive and have way more options available coding in C#.

Btw, another option to coding a Forms UI application is to use WPF (I don't know if it is C# or VB.Net only).

It's cool because UI elements are described using a declarative syntax called xaml. Xaml defines the visual elements and the elements get bound to the data through a model (that's my 25 cent explaination anyway).

Now consider a simple app that has a button and when you click on the button, it plays a video that is displayed in the button.

Imagine how you would code this with C++ MFC or some other C++ UI framework?

In C# in a WPF app, it's about 10 lines of xaml.

Not that anyone has a need to play a video inside a button, but the difference in the lines of code between approaches is astounding.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

[Post re C# moved to C-Sharp forum http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...ow-to-learn-c]
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

So after a lengthy discussion on the C# forum it feels like we've come full circle with this. The bottom line (with Visual Studio) is that there's no way to build a C++ app for anything other than Windows. Cross-platform builds are supported for other languages (C#, F# and Visual Basic) but not for C++.

Which begs the question... where's the benefit in making a move to C++/CLI ? Yes, it supports .NET but it doesn't support .NET Core which is a massive limit to its usefulness. .NET Core seems to be the key to preventing Visual C++ from descending into a legacy language.

Visual C++ devs need a credible cross-platform alternative to gcc. But just like us, MS seems to be going in circles and getting nowhere...

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    So after a lengthy discussion on the C# forum it feels like we've come full circle with this. The bottom line (with Visual Studio) is that there's no way to build a C++ app for anything other than Windows. Cross-platform builds are supported for other languages (C#, F# and Visual Basic) but not for C++.

Which begs the question... where's the benefit in making a move to C++/CLI ? Yes, it supports .NET but it doesn't support .NET Core which is a massive limit to its usefulness. .NET Core seems to be the key to preventing Visual C++ from descending into a legacy language.

Visual C++ devs need a credible cross-platform alternative to gcc. But just like us, MS seems to be going in circles and getting nowhere...
    Yes, jump to C# and skip C++/CLI altogether.

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Yes, jump to C# and skip C++/CLI altogether.
    ... and forget C++/CLI like a nightmare!
    Victor Nijegorodov

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    ... and forget C++/CLI like a nightmare!
    Yep

I must admit I'd be very reluctant to start any new project using Visual C++ - but for legacy projects it'd be nice to have a better cross-platform solution than gcc.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123