So another question since I've hit another stumbling block...

Tried about 7 different guides and many different forum posts, none of which are working, I must be doing something obvious wrong...

Trying to change the 'small' icon (upper-left icon in a window) and the 'Big' icon (icon that appears in the taskbar) of a Window I've created with Win32.

I'm using LoadImage() and placing the result into an 'HICON' Handle. I'm not using LoadIcon().

Here's the relevant code:

Under WNDCLASSEX wc in WinMain:

Code:
WNDCLASSEX wc;

wc.hIconSm       = LoadIcon(NULL, IDI_APPLICATION);
and then, later, under a custom function I made that appears under WM_CREATE in WndProc function:

Code:
void LoadVisuals()
{

HICON hIconSm = (HICON)LoadImage(NULL, L"Icon.ico", IMAGE_ICON, 16, 16, LR_LOADFROMFILE);
SendMessage(hWnd, WM_SETICON, ICON_SMALL, (LPARAM)hIconSm);

}
The icon doesn't change, it remains the same.

I run some error checking. The LoadImage() part reports Error Code 0 (function successful) but the SendMessage() part reports 'Error 1813: The specified resource type cannot be found in the image file.'

I have confirmed the .ico icon's file path and have tried specifying the FULL PATH ("C:\\files\\to\\icon.ico").

Can anyone explain what I'm doing wrong? Am I placing LoadVisuals() in the wrong part of WndProc? Am I casting LoadImage() to the wrong handle-type? Is wc.hIconSm overriding the SendMessage()?

Appreciate your help - I've checked lots of other forum posts but nothing has worked so far.