Hello;

I am attempting to use a Backgroundworker in Visual Studio 2012 Express to display a ticker.

I actually want to do this on 2 forms: a main form and a settings form.

On the settings form, all I want to do is:

1) When it is turned on (selected to show via radiobutton) display previously set text in a label character by character at a speed selected by the user (via trackbar value [ie: using a sleep call with the trackbar value * 1000]
Then a small blank space repeated by the previously set text.

2) If it is turned off then stop the background worker, clear the label text, and hide the label.

I keep getting IllegalCrossThread calls when attempting to do this on the settings page so I haven't even attempted any code for the main page.

On the main page, I just want the ticker to display the previously selected text character by character at the set "ticker speed" and loop just like on the settings page.

This is what I have gotten thus far:

Code:
Module Module1

Public TickerTest As String = "***** This is how fast the ticker will run..."
    Public TickerMsg As String = "***** Today's winning bonus is: "

End Module

Public Class Form3
     Public CharAdd As Integer = 0

Private Sub RadioButton4_CheckedChanged(sender As Object, e As EventArgs) Handles RadioButton4.CheckedChanged

RadioButton4.Font = IIf(RadioButton4.Checked = True, New Font(RadioButton4.Font, FontStyle.Bold), New Font(RadioButton4.Font, FontStyle.Regular))

If RadioButton4.Checked = False Then
            BackgroundWorker1.CancelAsync()
        ElseIf RadioButton4.Checked = True Then
            BackgroundWorker1.RunWorkerAsync()
        End If

OKToolStripMenuItem.Enabled = True
        SAVEToolStripMenuItem.Enabled = True

End Sub

Private Sub BackgroundWorker1_DoWork(sender As Object, e As System.ComponentModel.DoWorkEventArgs) Handles BackgroundWorker1.DoWork

For CharNum = 1 To Len(Trim(TickerTest))
            CharAdd += 1
            Label7.Text = Mid(TickerTest, CharNum, CharAdd)
            System.Threading.Thread.Sleep(My.Settings.TickerSpeed * 1000)

If BackgroundWorker1.CancellationPending = True Then
                Label7.Text = Nothing
                Label7.Hide()
            End If

Next

End Sub 

End Class
Name:  Ticker controls.jpg
Views: 1492
Size:  14.9 KB

May I get some help please?
Thank you.