CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] CreateToolHelp32Snapshot and listing Services under Svchost.exe... How to?

I have created a SnapShot of all the processes running by using CreateToolHelp32Snapshot.

I then iterate through all the processes by using Process32First and Process32Next as detailed in the following article:

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/win...rocess-walking

However, when I get to any process called "Svchost.exe" I want to be able to see which services that process is hosting and, if possible, its name listed as "Service Host: xxxxxxxx" (where "xxxxxx" is something like 'Local Service' or 'Remote Procedure Call' or whatever... just like it appears in Task Manager).

How can I see which processes each instance of "SvcHost.exe" is hosting and how can I list them, using win32api function calls?

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: CreateToolHelp32Snapshot and listing Services under Svchost.exe... How to?

Is the task manager capable of listing the processes of svchost.exe?

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    Is the task manager capable of listing the processes of svchost.exe?
    Yes, of course.

I'm aiming to try to list the Services hosted by each instance of 'SvcHost.exe'. I iterate through each process using Process32First and then Process32Next (called 'Process Walking').

Whenever I hit one of the many 'SvcHost.exe' processes I'm trying to get its full name (Ex: 'Service Host: Local Service (No Network)' ) and/or, more importantly, the specific services hosted by that 'SvcHost.exe' process.
    Last edited by Arianax; July 7th, 2019 at 11:09 AM.

Try the undocumented ntquerysysteminformation function.

The documentation advises against using that function because it changes with updates to the OS so its functionality cannot be guaranteed.

I was thinking more along the lines of finding out a surefire way to populate the LPENUM_SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS struct that's associated with the EnumServicesStatusEx() function.

If I can allocate the correct amount of memory in EnumServicesStatusEx() function for the LPENUM_SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS struct then there must be some way I can increment through it using a 'for loop' in order to output the struct for each and every service.

Problem is I'm not sure how to do that. Memory allocation is eluding me and I don't know how to cause the struct to iterate through each service. So far it just outputs the first service (alphabetically), as so:

Code:
    LPENUM_SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS service;

EnumServicesStatusEx(SCM, SC_ENUM_PROCESS_INFO, SERVICES_ACTIVE, SERVICE_WIN32, NULL, 0, &pcbBytesNeeded, &lpServicesReturned, &lpResumeHandle, NULL);

DWORD buffer;
    buffer = pcbBytesNeeded;

service = (LPENUM_SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS) LocalAlloc(LMEM_FIXED, buffer);

EnumServicesStatusEx(SCM, SC_ENUM_PROCESS_INFO, SERVICES_ACTIVE, SERVICE_WIN32, (LPBYTE)Service, buffer, &pcbBytesNeeded, &lpServicesReturned, &lpResumeHandle, NULL);
    I then output the number of services counted using std::to_wstring(lpServicesReturned).

Not sure how to proceed from here...

Trying to iterate through each and every service and output the data contained in SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS.

I'm not sure if the LPENUM_SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS struct contains details for all the services or just the first service. If it only contains details for the first service, how would I write a 'for loop' to populate an ARRAY of LPENUM_SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS structs to hold data for each and every service..?

EDIT: Think I've found the answer myself... Please see my reply below..(!!!)
    Last edited by Arianax; July 10th, 2019 at 04:12 PM.

It seems it's far more simple to iterate through the LPENUM_SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS struct than I previously guessed or grasped...

I used this code, supplied for those who might also encounter this problem:
    Code:
    for(UINT I = 0; I < lpServicesReturned; I++)
    {
    MessageBox(NULL, service[I].lpDisplayName, L"Service Name:", MB_OK);

}
    That will list each and every running service, one after another, inside a message box on the screen...

Other functionality can be provided by referencing different parts of the SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS struct contained within the LPENUM_SERVICE_STATUS_PROCESS struct.

Re: [RESOLVED] CreateToolHelp32Snapshot and listing Services under Svchost.exe... How

Quote Originally Posted by Arianax View Post
    The documentation advises against using that function because it changes with updates to the OS so its functionality cannot be guaranteed.
    I generally agree about not using undocumented apis, but I make an exception in this case (in fact, ntquerysysteminformation is the only undocumented api that I have used or recommend using). I've used it since about 1996 and it's unlikely to change since the Windows task manager apps relies on it.

Re: [RESOLVED] CreateToolHelp32Snapshot and listing Services under Svchost.exe... How

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    I've used it since about 1996 and it's unlikely to change since the Windows task manager apps relies on it.
    Task Manager reliance upon the undocumented API does not guarantee the API immutability. Task Manager is a system app that changes along with the Windows core, and MS is not obliged to keep it working with a core of any other version. Actually, this is what this sort of API warning is really about.

Besides, while API prototype itself can remain unchanged and seemingly unaffected by the respective core changes, the internal undocumented structures it fetches may change alright. I ran into this sort of situation when Win2k came out and all of a sudden the returned process information structures turned out to be slightly different from WinNT4 ones, first of all in size, so even with minor changes the iteration was broken. After all the years passed I do not clearly remember the details now, but remember the taste of nasty surprise very well.
    Best regards,
    Igor

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

[Additional question re EnumServiceStatusEx moved to http://forums.codeguru.com/showthrea...d-free-memory]
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)