CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Hide a service with API only

Is there any way to load a windows service (or at least an application) and not be seen in service list (or app list) from task manager ? But using windows API only (I mean not driver level) ? I have searched a lot on internet, but what I have found is not working ... and to be sure, I asked here ....

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Re: Hide a service with API only

Why would you want to do that?

It is a client request, I don't know for what is developed for. And the client is not impose me to use WinAPI only, this a question from me, because I have searched for this approach (API only) on internet, but I didn't found something reliable ...

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by mesajflaviu View Post
    Is there any way to load a windows service (or at least an application) and not be seen in service list (or app list) from task manager ? But using windows API only (I mean not driver level) ? I have searched a lot on internet, but what I have found is not working ... and to be sure, I asked here ....
    There are ways of 'hiding' services but they are considered security issues and would (hopefully) be flagged up by any competent modern security package and disabled. IMO any request for such a provision should be treated with the utmost caution.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I would never build a threat or a virus. That is for sure.

I only intend to see if there is possible to hide it with API only.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

A running hidden service/program would/should be flagged by any competent security suite.

How to bypass normal OS operation is not really suitable for these forums.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)