CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Trouble installing old version of photoshop elements

I looked through the forum and didn't see anything relatable. I apologize if I missed it. I am attempting to install an xp version of photoshop elements. It worked on win7 fine. now that I am on win10 it gives me an error that I need ie 4.0 or greater Name:  Annotation 2019-11-06 105230.png
Views: 576
Size:  7.1 KB. I need to trick the installer. How?

it will not install with compatibility modes nor administrator.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Trouble installing old version of photoshop elements

The problem is that the setup program is looking for IE 4 (or higher). Win 10 has Edge installed, not IE.

Not sure if IE can be installed on Win 10, but you may try that.

IE is actually installed. IE11 is in the background, stock. I am wondering now if the issue is that it is looking for a 32 bit IE and IE11 is 64bit. In either case, anyone know how to trick the system?

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

What version of IE are you using on Windows 7 which works? I have IE 11 installed on my Windows 7 64 bit system.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

I do not recall. It was already installed when ie11 appeared. some crazy thing happened and I had to reinstall win10. when that happened I lost the ability to use my photoshop elements. I suppose I could reformat into win7. install everything and then upgrade back into win10. ugh, what a chore. hate doing that. I refuse to believe someone hasn't figured out a simpler way.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

The default IE for Windows 7 was IE 8. Which, if you hadn't updated, would be the one you were using. What I suspect is that there is a problem with the IE version detection in that issue of Photoshop Elements which is taking a version of IE higher than 9 (10 to 19) to be version 1. You can't install earlier versions of IE AFAIK on Windows 10. You can make IE 11 behave like earlier versions for testing etc, but that is not what you want. I suspect you either have to re-install Windows 7 then go through the upgrade process again - or use a VM for Windows 7.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Quote Originally Posted by oWNz View Post
    ugh, what a chore. hate doing that. I refuse to believe someone hasn't figured out a simpler way.
    I don't want to sound rude, but why not upgrade to a newer Photoshop version? Isn't it kind of unrealistic to expect software designed to run on an 18 year olg OS (i.e. XP) to keep running indefinitely?

Arjay, you were fine until you talked about expectations. If I needed Photoshop for something important or it was some great hobby of mine, then spending another $100 to get the latest and greatest would make sense. Since the software itself works great once installed actually carrying 90% more functionality than I need, why would I buy the new deal? It would make sense that if I could quickly trick the installer thus avoiding a $100 expenditure, that would make sense.

I am sure if you put a moment of thought into it, you wouldn't have asked me what you already knew though. Case in point. It has been 14 days since I thought about this thread.

Quote Originally Posted by oWNz View Post
    Arjay, you were fine until you talked about expectations. If I needed Photoshop for something important or it was some great hobby of mine, then spending another $100 to get the latest and greatest would make sense. Since the software itself works great once installed actually carrying 90% more functionality than I need, why would I buy the new deal? It would make sense that if I could quickly trick the installer thus avoiding a $100 expenditure, that would make sense.

I am sure if you put a moment of thought into it, you wouldn't have asked me what you already knew though. Case in point. It has been 14 days since I thought about this thread.
    You were fine until you talked about hacking an install for an 18 year old program. smh

P.S. It's been 14 days for me too. Hopefully it stays that way.