CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: Round Function

Round Function

OK guys, take it easy because this is my 1st program. I have jumped some hurdles and resisted the urge to ask for help but the round function has me stumped. In the code below I had to create my own round function. Why won't (51199.9488-round(51199.9488)) return .0512? The debug error states that round is an undeclared identifier.

Code:
    // First.cpp: Need I state more?

#include <stdafx.h>
    #include <iostream>

using namespace std;

void main()
    {
      double degrees=360;
      double poserr=0;
      double pulses=0;

for (degrees=359; degrees<360;)
      {
         pulses=(((degrees*3600)/2.34375)+poserr); // Throw the previous error back into the grinder.

if ((pulses-int(pulses))>=.5) // Rooky Round Function
    	{
    	  poserr=(pulses-int(pulses+1)); 
              pulses=int(pulses+1);
    	}
        else if (pulses-int(pulses)<.5)
    	{
    	  poserr=(pulses-int(pulses)); 
              pulses=int(pulses);
    	}

std::cout << "Command: " << degrees;
        std::cout << " - Output: " << ((pulses/3600)*2.34375);
        std::cout << " - Pulses: " << pulses;
        std::cout << " - Error: " << ((poserr/3600)*2.34375);
        std::cout << "\n";
        std::cout << "\n";

degrees=(degrees+.01);
      }

std::cin.get();
    }
    Last edited by OldRon; December 17th, 2019 at 04:22 PM.

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Round Function

To use round(), you need to insert

Code:
    #include <cmath>
    at the top of the program as this include has the definition for the round() function.

Also

Code:
    degrees = (degrees + .01);
    can be removed and incorporated into the for statement as:

Code:
    for (degrees = 359.0; degrees < 360.0; degrees += 0.01)
    when dealing with non-integer constants, it is better to explicitly specify this by using a . in the number. So 350 becomes 359.0 and 360 becomes 360.0 etc.

Also, if (pulses - int(pulses)) is not >= .5 then it must be < .5, so the second if statement is not required.

Code:
    if ((pulses - int(pulses)) >= .5) // Rooky Round Function
    {
        poserr = (pulses - int(pulses + 1)); 
        pulses = int(pulses + 1);
    }
    else
    {
        poserr = (pulses - int(pulses)); 
        pulses = int(pulses);
    }
    As you have using namespace std; after the #include statements, your std::cout statements do not need the std:: part and can be just cout

Code:
    cout << "Command: " << degrees;
    2.34375 must 'mean something' in the context of this program, so it would be good practice to specify this value as a const variable at the top of the program and use this const variable instead of the number in the code.

Code:
    const double special = 2.34375;
    int main()
    pulses = (((degrees * 3600) / special) + poserr);
    Also note that the correct format for main() is

Code:
    int main()
    although the main() function doesn't have to explicitly return a value as 0 is used if none is specified.
    Last edited by 2kaud; December 18th, 2019 at 04:27 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

OK, I included <cmath> and the error still exists. error C2065: 'round' : undeclared identifier

I created an APP in vb6 that performs a recursive folder/subfolder search, reads the folder files, and searches for a string. Starting in the VC98 folder there is no 'round'. Google has a lot of hits on that error and no solutions other than creating your own function. If I had a better understanding of the libraries then I could probably add my rounding function to math.h but I won't live long enough to reach that skill level so I'll be content with my rounding code. I have a lot to learn but I was surprised by how quickly I went from std::cout << "Hello World!" outputting the results that I need. That stupid lesson was where I threw the MS book in the trash when I was learning vb6. I appreciate your advice on the for statement and the unnecessary conditional statement.

Ron

Starting in the VC98 folder
    Ah. You are using C++98. That explains the issue. In C++, round() was added in the later C++11 release. C++98 is now 22 years old and there has been a lot of changes to the C++ language since then. The latest version is C++17 - with C++20 due for release shortly. Why not upgrade to the latest free VC2019 Community edition - which includes C++17? See https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

PS For learning C++ on line, have a look at https://www.learncpp.com/
    Last edited by 2kaud; December 18th, 2019 at 11:07 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Ah. You are using C++98. That explains the issue. In C++, round() was added in the later C++11 release. C++98 is now 22 years old and there has been a lot of changes to the C++ language since then. The latest version is C++17 - with C++20 due for release shortly. Why not upgrade to the latest free VC2019 Community edition - which includes C++17? See https://visualstudio.microsoft.com/downloads/

PS For learning C++ on line, have a look at https://www.learncpp.com/
    My use is for entertainment and my wife would say that doesn't warrant the expense of buying a new programming suite... and she's always right.

Quote Originally Posted by OldRon View Post
    My use is for entertainment and my wife would say that doesn't warrant the expense of buying a new programming suite... and she's always right.
    But VS2019 Community is free as I said in post #4

Although round() is a C++11 feature, there are 2 similar ones in C++98 which might be helpful:

ceil() - which rounds upwards, returning the smallest integral value that is not less than
    floor() - which rounds downwards, returning the largest integral value that is not greater than.

Quote Originally Posted by 2kaud View Post
    Although round() is a C++11 feature, there are 2 similar ones in C++98 which might be helpful:

ceil() - which rounds upwards, returning the smallest integral value that is not less than
    floor() - which rounds downwards, returning the largest integral value that is not greater than.
    I had tried those functions but it was simpler to use (value - int(value)) + 1 if the fractional part was .5 or greater. I had Visual Studio 2010 Express on my drive so I installed it thinking that it would have round but that wasn't the case. It is the no license version but it required a serial key and MS let that page expire. After three chat sessions with MS it looked hopeless but I eventually found it without having to risk a download. I can run it in Windows 10 whereas the old software required a virtual XP machine. It would not not compile the simple program that it loaded when starting a new project. I don't know what it is but incremental compiling was the problem. I'm currently trying to learn about strings and it's sure a mess compared to vb6. My current project requires C++ so I'm eager to learn the programming language.

Thanks for your help,
    Ron
    Last edited by OldRon; December 21st, 2019 at 11:06 PM.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by OldRon View Post
    I had tried those functions but it was simpler to use (value - int(value)) + 1 if the fractional part was .5 or greater. I had Visual Studio 2010 Express on my drive so I installed it thinking that it would have round but that wasn't the case. It is the no license version but it required a serial key and MS let that page expire. After three chat sessions with MS it looked hopeless but I eventually found it without having to risk a download. I can run it in Windows 10 whereas the old software required a virtual XP machine. It would not not compile the simple program that it loaded when starting a new project. I don't know what it is but incremental compiling was the problem. I'm currently trying to learn about strings and it's sure a mess compared to vb6. My current project requires C++ so I'm eager to learn the programming language.

Thanks for your help,
    Ron
    If the old link to the 9 year old VC 2010 is no longer available it just might be a hint from MS to go to something newer - like the FREE version of VC 2019.

I had Visual Studio 2010 Express on my drive so I installed it thinking that it would have round but that wasn't the case
    VS 2010 is based upon C++98 - as C++11, which is needed for the round function, didn't exist at that point.

As you're using Windows 10, installing the free VS 2019 Community should be a no-brainer!

Quote Originally Posted by Arjay View Post
    If the old link to the 9 year old VC 2010 is no longer available it just might be a hint from MS to go to something newer - like the FREE version of VC 2019.
    Of course you are right. If I'm going to learn C++ then I just as well be current.