CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Backup & Recovery software

Which software are people recommending these days for backup & recovery? For years I used Paragon's Drive Backup but when I bought a new PC, I wasn't sure if it'd cope any more with my GPT partitioning scheme. And it was old anyway - so I updated to Paragon's latest product (Hard Disk Manager). But I must admit I've been hugely disappointed with its limitations.

For example, I can't even name the backup archives (it generates an automatic name now, based on the date & time). The previous software would let me give archives a meaningful name - and even add comments to remind me if I'd created them for some special reason. All of that's gone now.

Worst of all... the latest Paragon product contains a feature for checking the integrity of its generated archives - but I reckon around 20% of them fail its own integrity checker!! (which means it subsequently won't allow me to restore anything).

So time to start looking somewhere else...
    Last edited by John E; January 9th, 2020 at 04:50 AM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Backup & Recovery software

Windows 7 System Image - part of the OS, so it's free! It creates a complete image of the specified logical drive(s) and the image files can be mounted as a 'virtual drive' (VHD) in Disk Management enabling individual files/folders etc to be recovered if a complete drive restore is not required (using Microsoft's recovery DVD/USB). Not much help though with management of the files. All you can specify is the drive on which the image file is created. But once created, they can be renamed/moved etc. In Windows 10 it's called Backup and Restore (Windows 7) in the Control Panel. For Windows 7 it's just Backup and Restore.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Hmmm... I just tried that on Windows 10 but it'd only allow me to create backups from an NTFS formatted drive and it only lets me save them onto an NTFS drive (FAT32 volumes don't seem to be supported at all - unless I'm missing something...)

9Edit...] I just tried a test backup with NTFS volumes. It seemed to create the archive okay - but it also wouldn't let me choose an archive name or add a comment. And (even worse) I then tried a 2nd backup and it simply over-wrote the first one (i.e. the 2nd time, it wouldn't let me choose to backup some different files or back them up to some different destination )
    Last edited by John E; January 9th, 2020 at 06:50 AM.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is online now Super Moderator Power Poster

I just tried a test backup with NTFS volumes. It seemed to create the archive okay - but it also wouldn't let me choose an archive name or add a comment. And (even worse) I then tried a 2nd backup and it simply over-wrote the first one (i.e. the 2nd time, it wouldn't let me choose to backup some different files or back them up to some different destination
    Yes. As I mentioned, you have to manage the files yourself (and move them to a different location after its finished)! But its free and the drive restore works and the ability to mount as a VHD to access individual files/folders is a plus.

Don't have any FAT32 volumes so can't say - they're all NTFS including the external one(s) used for the system image.

PS you can save the image to a network location.
    Last edited by 2kaud; January 9th, 2020 at 08:07 AM.
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Do a bing or google search for "backup windows 10 to the cloud."

Below mentioned are some of the best backup & recovery softwares :-

Cyber Backup
    Synology Active Backup
    Backblaze
    Carbonite
    Novabackup

Hope this information is helpful to you