CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

VB6 IDE Compiler Freezes with no error code.

I have a project I've been developing and maintaining for a few years. The client wants to "run the show" from their location, so I've cleaned up the code, made sure stuff works and sent it to compile (this project was dynamic). During this time, I've been doing "full compile before run" and had no problems. Now the "Make project" starts, asks for the exe name and starts. It shows the progress bar, the progress advances a small amount and freezes. I've left it running overnight (12+ hours) resulting in my laptop smelling of cooked electronics. My only recourse is to end the process from the task manager.
    I've double checked References and Components, cleaned out all the unused variables, procedures and objects. I've even installed VB6 on a brand new laptop (running Win 10) and it still freezes.
    Now I'm here, asking for options to resolve this dilemma. Thanks for any help you can provide.

Re: VB6 IDE Compiler Freezes with no error code.

Quote Originally Posted by DrShell View Post
    I have a project I've been developing and maintaining for a few years. The client wants to "run the show" from their location, so I've cleaned up the code, made sure stuff works and sent it to compile (this project was dynamic). During this time, I've been doing "full compile before run" and had no problems. Now the "Make project" starts, asks for the exe name and starts. It shows the progress bar, the progress advances a small amount and freezes. I've left it running overnight (12+ hours) resulting in my laptop smelling of cooked electronics. My only recourse is to end the process from the task manager.
    I've double checked References and Components, cleaned out all the unused variables, procedures and objects. I've even installed VB6 on a brand new laptop (running Win 10) and it still freezes.
    Now I'm here, asking for options to resolve this dilemma. Thanks for any help you can provide.
    How have you been able to install VB6 on W10 ?

I presume you have had no problems and have also had no problems installing Service Pack 6.

I have nothing but problems just getting VB6 to install on W10. (64 bit pc)

You need to go back to the version that worked PRIOR to your "cleaning up the code" - Just go back to a version that compiles on some machine prior to you changing the code.

Then you can take that version and try compiling it on the new VB6 install on W10.

Have I misunderstood you to say that you re-compile the code every time you run it ?
    This sounds a little strange to me - why would you do this ?

Let us know how you went

First, yes I've installed VB6 on Win10. There are many posts on how to do this. I had no problem.
    No, I didn't do the "Make" for each change. But I did do the "Start with Full Compile" from the Run menu. That continues to work but, after many changes, the "Make" from the File menu doesn't. I can't create the exe to include in an install module.
    As well, I'm doing the development on a Win7 system to install on Win10. It wasn't until after attempting a previous install that I discovered Win10 has screwed around with the Registry again!! I'm now trying to "fix" the parts that interact with the Registry. But, until I can get the Win7 or Win10 compile to work, all this is mute.

What happened when you tried

"You need to go back to the version that worked PRIOR to your "cleaning up the code" - Just go back to a version that compiles on some machine prior to you changing the code."

Also have a look at

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/...aking-exe-file

Check this one out

COMPATIBILITY SETTINGS ON VB6.EXE

10. Change the compatibility on VB6 executable
    After installing VB6, you'll want to change the compatibility settings for the IDE executable. Otherwise it can run very slowly!

Using Windows Explorer, browse the location where you installed VB6. By default, the path is C:\Program Files\Microsoft Visual Studio\VB98\
    Right click the VB6.exe program file, and select properties from the context menu.
    Click on the Compatibility tab.
    Place a check in each of these checkboxes:
    Run this program in compatibility mode for Windows XP (Service Pack 3)
    Disable Visual Themes
    Disable Desktop Composition
    Disable display scaling on high DPI settings
    If you have UAC turned on, it is probably advisable to check the 'Run this program as an Administrator' box
    After changing these settings, fire up the IDE, and things should be back to normal, and the IDE is no longer sluggish.

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Seems like a lot of work to support something that is 22 years old.

I could go back, but that would negate all changes made for the last 2 months. Like I said, I often used the Compile before Run option for testing and, since it always compiled I never imagined it would have problems compiling the exe. As well, I don't have any issues with the IDE. It runs well with Compatibility settings et al, and UAC is for the install of VB. Once it's installed UAC is not an issue. I've done all the above during VB's install and haven't had any issues with it. I can even compile other programs. Something in this particular program is causing the Make to freeze without error. No error code! Nothing I can think of will cause this. I'm using cryptography, registry access, APIs to get special folders and OS levels. None of these things have given problems before and nothing I've done in the "clean-up" is unusual. Mostly the clean-up is removing stuff that wasn't being used. So, I need to know if any of you know of anything that can cause the Make to freeze like this. Sorry if I seem to discount all the suggestions. I very much appreciate all the help so far. But the suggestions have been already checked and passed.

Quote Originally Posted by DrShell View Post
    I could go back, but that would negate all changes made for the last 2 months. Like I said, I often used the Compile before Run option for testing and, since it always compiled I never imagined it would have problems compiling the exe. As well, I don't have any issues with the IDE. It runs well with Compatibility settings et al, and UAC is for the install of VB. Once it's installed UAC is not an issue. I've done all the above during VB's install and haven't had any issues with it. I can even compile other programs. Something in this particular program is causing the Make to freeze without error. No error code! Nothing I can think of will cause this. I'm using cryptography, registry access, APIs to get special folders and OS levels. None of these things have given problems before and nothing I've done in the "clean-up" is unusual. Mostly the clean-up is removing stuff that wasn't being used. So, I need to know if any of you know of anything that can cause the Make to freeze like this. Sorry if I seem to discount all the suggestions. I very much appreciate all the help so far. But the suggestions have been already checked and passed.
    The point is - Does the previous versions still work (Compile) ? If the previous version still works then the problem is probably not with the VB6 IDE / Compiler - it is probably a problem with your new code. Add your adjustments one at a time and check which one causes the compiler to hang.