CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

[RESOLVED] Using one parameter to select multiple values

I need some help in how I can get my current report generating correctly.

I need my report to display particular data stored in the database under a particular location, and the parameter I would use is based on that locations number, so in this case, the locationtype column = 21, which is for the location of Hertfordshire storage.

So when the parameter is used it will select any column data that had the locationtype of 21. But for my case the location of Hertfordshire storage as been added 4 times under four different locationtype numbers, so what I am trying to do is, when the parameter is selected, it displays all data related to those four locationtypes.

Hope this makes sense. Any help and advice will be greatly appreciated.

Re: Using one parameter to select multiple values

Crystal Reports must first connect to the database before it can process any data. Therefore, you cannot use a parameter to control which database CR uses. However, you could create a view, or multiple views in one database which, using linked servers or db links, return data from other databases. Then, by using a command object (database->database expert ->connection->add command) you could have a parameter to control how you select from the view, or even which view is used. If you can have a column in the view to indicate where the data originated, then the parameter can control the result set.

Thank you for your response. I am unable to create views for this particular report, so I have to rely on the current database structure. Hence, my difficulty in doing what I have asked advice on.

Just as an update, I have decided for easy that I will make a multi select parameter so the user can select each of the same department. Thank you for your input.