CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Plugin, or something similar...

Hi!
    I already have a small application which does the communication between different PCs within the local network.
    Now I want to program a -lets call it- 'sensor'. The main job for the sensor is to check the local PC for a special event. As soon the event happens, it shall "tell" the communication application.
    The communication application shall be the "main" program, it should only be "used" by the sensor-applications.

So, there is no need for the sensor to be able to run without the communication application, but the communication application must be able to run without the "sensor".

I tried "Inter-Process Communication" using "SendMessage". But I find "FindWindow" just by the text of the caption quite strange: As the programmer of both applications I have full control of both windows...

I am wondering about those programs that have "plugins". What is the main programming principle behind a "plugin"? Do you have other hints for me how to archive a flexible structure with "sensor"-applications and some kind of a "master-application?

Thanks in advance!

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Plugin, or something similar...

I tried "Inter-Process Communication" using "SendMessage". But I find "FindWindow" just by the text of the caption quite strange: As the programmer of both applications I have full control of both windows...
    This approach only works for different processes on the same machine, but isn't going to work for different processes on different machines.

Look into using DCOM (i.e. Distributed COM).