CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

the right language for Telecom server development

Hi all,
    I have a requirement for coder / programmer / software engineer (whatever the right term is.....), to work on a project that involves middleware in a telecoms network (i.e. between end telecoms device and customer site application). At a high level, the 'work to be done' is that of sending / receiving messages (not sms), dissecting these to pull out content, manipulate and present data from these messages and provide a GUI for an end user to display, format, interact with the data.

so... the question:
    When looking for someone for this project, what is the most appropriate coding language that I should be looking for an individual to have?

Cheers... Neil

Re: the right language for Telecom server development

> I have a requirement for coder / programmer / software engineer
    coder = you tell them exactly what you want in microscopic detail.
    software engineer = you tell them what you want to achieve, and leave all the details to them.

Since you're at best "fuzzy" on what you even want, you need a software engineer.

> what is the most appropriate coding language that I should be looking for an individual to have?
    That's the wrong question to be asking.

For one thing, sufficiently large problems require implementation in multiple programming languages, so just finding a "foo" programmer wouldn't be that useful.
    For another, general purpose programming languages cross many problem domains, so an experienced "foo" programmer might be pretty clueless when it comes to solving the problem in your particular niche.

You need to be looking for people who've had experience in implementing solutions to problems which in some way resemble the problem you're trying to solve.
    In other words, you need to be talking to them about their experiences, and their approach to solving problems.
    Not taking pot luck with a completed form of check boxes.

> (i.e. between end telecoms device and customer site application)
    So one end is a common consumer mobile phone running Android or iOS?

Re: the right language for Telecom server development

Erlang!

Telecommunications needed a special language to handle the heavy load of users (concurrency), and it’s become an industry standard. It was designed by the top dog in telecom, Ericsson.

Other communication companies have seen its value and taken advantage. Discord chat with its instant messaging currently handles more than 5million concurrent users. They also use Erlang and one server can handle 500,000 which is huge considering a standard server on one port can handle roughly 16,000.

Hope this information is helpful to you