CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Where is the list for MRU projects in VS2019 ?

I have a weird problem here with one particular project in VS2019 (it's a Visual C++ project)

Regardless of whether I try to open it from within VS2019 - or by double clicking from within Windows Explorer - VS2019 always opens the wrong project!!

In older versions of VS, Most Recently Used projects were saved in the registry. So for VC8 it was here:-

Code:
    HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\VisualStudio\8.0\ProjectMRUList
    But for VS2019 that registry key doesn't seem to exist any more. Does anyone know where this stuff gets saved now ??
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Where is the list for MRU projects in VS2019 ?

No - but just do a full registry search for the name required. Use regedit then edit/find then findnext
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Thanks 2kaud but that's what confused me....

If I search for any of my VS2019 projects (or solutions) in the registry, they don't seem to be there...
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Thanks 2kaud but that's what confused me....

If I search for any of my VS2019 projects (or solutions) in the registry, they don't seem to be there...
    Perhaps VS changed the storage approach. You may be interested to know that VS has a programming api, so you should be able to programmatically retrieve the mru list.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Ah so..... See https://social.msdn.microsoft.com/Fo...al-studio-2017

Since VS2017, it uses a private hive. Doh! So you have to load the hive first before you can search/amend it. Ah......
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)