CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Thread: libiconv

John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

libiconv

Has anyone here ever heard of a library called iconv? Many years ago I built GTK+ (an open source toolchain) for Win32. It uses several other libraries, like Cairo, Pango, Fonfconfig etc. I'm not exactly sure what iconv is but several of them seem to need it - so back then, I downloaded the Win32 'dev' version (DLL's + libs + header files...)

I'm now trying to rebuild Gtk+ for Win64 - but for the life of me I can't find iconv any more. I did find an email address for the project but all emails get returned undelivered. So I'm guessing it must be obsolete / discontinued or whatever.

Just wondering if anyone knows where I could either obtain the source code - or preferably, a pre-built Win64 dev version?
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

Re: libiconv

Thanks Richard - I downloaded the tarball from that site but AFAICT it's only for building with make. Building with MSVC doesn't seem to be supported and I couldn't find any pre-built libs and DLL's etc

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Thanks 2kaud but I think that's the old version (i.e. Win32 only)

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

So what about this https://github.com/pffang/libiconv-for-Windows which has .lib/.dll for x64/x86 dynamic/static/debug
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Woohoo! That looks very promising 2kaud - many thanks...