CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Question WinAPI: Multi-Monitor functions -- Monitor / Screen / Virtual Screen nomenclature?

I'm quite confused by some of the nomenclature regarding the WinAPI functions related to using multiple monitors...

GetSystemMetrics( SM_CXMAXTRACK ) returns the maximum width of any window that spans more than one monitor (for example). What is the name for this region as a whole? Destkop? Virtual Screen? Logical Screen? Or no name at all but a conceptual thing?

GetSystemMetrics( SM_XVIRTUALSCREEN ) and related virtual screen functions relate to the Virtual Screen. What is the relationship between this Virtual Screen and the above? Now, there are software applications that provide what they call a Virtual Screen, but these aren't the same things at all, correct?

The ClientToScreen() and ScreenToClient() functions transform coordinates, but what the heck is a "Screen" in this context? The concept in question 1, or the Virtual Screen? When I have two multiple monitors, the primary monitor's left and top coordinates are zero and the rest of the coordinates for that monitor are zero-based. But my second monitor left/top coordinates are all negative. Are those CtoS and StoC functions used to convert absolute value coordinates describing the Virtual Screen (or question one's thing), such that -1920 X (for example) for the second monitor is converted to zero X and vice-versa?

I would be extremely grateful to anyone who can help me sort out these puzzling terms!

Thanks

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: WinAPI: Multi-Monitor functions -- Monitor / Screen / Virtual Screen nomenclature

Have a look at this great Joe Newcomer's essay: http://www.flounder.com/virtual_screen_coordinates.htm
    Victor Nijegorodov

Thumbs up Re: WinAPI: Multi-Monitor functions -- Monitor / Screen / Virtual Screen nomenclature

Quote Originally Posted by VictorN View Post
    Have a look at this great Joe Newcomer's essay: http://www.flounder.com/virtual_screen_coordinates.htm
    Wow! That's pure gold! I've been searching like crazy for something like that. Thank you enormously!

What a great site -- You folks are providing a spectacular service!

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: WinAPI: Multi-Monitor functions -- Monitor / Screen / Virtual Screen nomenclature

Quote Originally Posted by Erminal View Post
    Wow! That's pure gold! I've been searching like crazy for something like that. Thank you enormously!

What a great site -- You folks are providing a spectacular service!
    Agree. i know this site since early 2000. I learned a lot reading Joe's essays.
    I also met him three or four times at MVP global summits. It was very interesting and exciting to communicate/discuss with him.
    Victor Nijegorodov