CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    John E is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Visual annoyances in VS2019

1) If some source file text is 'greyed out' (e.g. within a #if 0 statement) it still gets printed in colour - but in slightly dimmed colours. On my monitor it's quite hard to tell the difference! Is it possible for greyed out text to be grey (as in the earlier VS versions)?

2) The 'Find/Replace' dialog seems to be fixed somehow in the top, right-hand corner of my Editor window. Is it possible to make it a floating dialog, like it used to be? The Find in Files dialog is floating but I can't seem to do this for the Quick Find dialog
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved.” - Charles F. Kettering

VictorN is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

Re: Visual annoyances in VS2019

1) You can change the colors in menu -> Tools -> Options -> Text Editor ...
    Victor Nijegorodov

Thanks Victor - it was lurking in a setting called Disable Inactive Code Opacity !!

I just wish there was a way to enhance the normal text colours - VS text looks very small and faint on my hi-res monitor. Or maybe some way to view the text slightly larger - as if it was in some "zoom" mode. Maybe that'd do it...

GCDEF is offline Elite Member Power Poster

Quote Originally Posted by John E View Post
    Thanks Victor - it was lurking in a setting called Disable Inactive Code Opacity !!

I just wish there was a way to enhance the normal text colours - VS text looks very small and faint on my hi-res monitor. Or maybe some way to view the text slightly larger - as if it was in some "zoom" mode. Maybe that'd do it...
    Hold the ctrl button down and scroll your mousewheel.

Quote Originally Posted by GCDEF View Post
    Hold the ctrl button down and scroll your mousewheel.
    Woohoo!! Finally I can read everything. Many thanks guys - I'm embarrassed at how long I've put up with this...

Another good thing... If I open the Find in Files dialog and select the option to Look in current document it gets remembered - and I now have a floating find dialog that works much more like the older one!!

Is there a way to get the Watch window back? I accidentally detached it and then stupidly thought that if I closed it, that would return it to my IDE somehow - but all it's done is to lose my Watch window completely

Is there a way to get the Watch window back? I accidentally detached it and then stupidly thought that if I closed it, that would return it to my IDE somehow - but all it's done is to lose my Watch window completely

Have you tried just adding a watch while you're debugging?

I can use something called the Quickwatch window but that just gives me a dedicated watch window showing just the watches that I added. I'd like to get back to the main watch window (i.e. the one which changes as I step through the program).

Or is there some other way to add a watch ?

Debug->Windows->Locals gets me something that's close the the old Watch window but it's still detached. Is there some way to re-attach a window ??

Is there some way to re-attach a window ??
    I found it - right-click on a floating window's title bar and choose Dock

BTW - is anyone else finding this site very slow? For the past few days, every time I post it takes around 30-40 seconds.

I can use something called the Quickwatch window but that just gives me a dedicated watch window showing just the watches that I added. I'd like to get back to the main watch window (i.e. the one which changes as I step through the program).

Or is there some other way to add a watch ?
    When you're debugging, right click on a variable and select watch

Thanks GCDEF - essentially there are 5 x Watch windows, divided into two types:-

1. Four x user-defined Watch windows. The user can add things to those windows and although their values can change, the entries themselves don't change unless the user changes them. Those ones are still working.
    2. One x automatic Watch window whose values (and entries) change as the user steps through the program. That's the one that's disappeared.

In previous versions of VS the latter was called Autos and that's the one that's disappeared. Late last night I realsed that it might have been renamed now (it's possibly now called Locals). I'll investigate a bit further once I've woken up a bit !!

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

It's always good to poke around in the new version of Visual Studio. Some things stay the same, some things move slightly, but generally it changes in a positive direction.

On the other hand, it's a big effort to leap multiple versions. Like going from VC6 to VC 2019 and wondering why your code doesn't compile and the editor is so different.

Keeping current is the way to go.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

BTW - is anyone else finding this site very slow? For the past few days, every time I post it takes around 30-40 seconds.
    It's not just this site. All the related web-sites are the same. Also there have been cases of error 504. See this thread https://www.vbforums.com/showthread....osting-trouble
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Did you manage to defeat the problem?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast