CodeGuru Home VC++ / MFC / C++ .NET / C# Visual Basic VB Forums Developer.com

Stupid Things Developers Do

Okay, I need everyone's help - or at least your feedback..... I'm working on an article, so what I need to know is:

What are stupid things developers do?

I'm looking for short answers that apply to multiple developers - not just one developer you happen to know. These can be coding, planning, or work related things or they can be things generalizations - as long as they are truly things that a stereotypical developer is likely to do.

I hope (expect) some of you can provide some interesting insight on this topic!

Brad!
    -----------------------------------------------
    Brad! Jones,
    Yowza Publishing
    LotsOfSoftware, LLC

-----------------------------------------------

Arjay is offline Moderator / EX MS MVP Power Poster

Re: Stupid Things Developers Do

Read posts by someone that wants to write an article.

The easiest way to be stupid as a programmer is trying too hard to be smart. Spending lots of time reducing a straightforward algorithm into something only Einstein could understand, to be able to cram it into one line, is stupid. On the other hand, if you never feel the urge to do this, you are probably not a good programmer.
    Last edited by wolle; March 3rd, 2021 at 05:11 AM.

A tendency to look at another developer’s source code and ask, “Why the hell did this idiot write the code this way?” This isn’t to say that the other developer is a stupid developer, they either chose a very inefficient approach or the code was extremely difficult to maintain/read/understand.

2kaud is offline Super Moderator Power Poster

“Why the hell did this idiot write the code this way?”
    and then find out it's actually your code......
    All advice is offered in good faith only. All my code is tested (unless stated explicitly otherwise) with the latest version of Microsoft Visual Studio (using the supported features of the latest standard) and is offered as examples only - not as production quality. I cannot offer advice regarding any other c/c++ compiler/IDE or incompatibilities with VS. You are ultimately responsible for the effects of your programs and the integrity of the machines they run on. Anything I post, code snippets, advice, etc is licensed as Public Domain https://creativecommons.org/publicdomain/zero/1.0/ and can be used without reference or acknowledgement. Also note that I only provide advice and guidance via the forums - and not via private messages!

C++23 Compiler: Microsoft VS2022 (17.6.5)

Cool facts to know about deveopers. Now I know what expects me in future